Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Coolant Change Interval

By BobB, September 12, 2011

My 2005 Corolla scheduled maintenance manual says nothing about coolant change intervals. I have 81,000 miles and have never changed the coolant. Is there a published change interval? Thanks.

For the Corollas, like yours, running The Long Life "Pink" Coolant - is rated as a 100K mile coolant or 10 years - whichever comes first. But I personally would not run that long with any replaceable fluid in the car. 5 years or 60K miles is quite conservative and safer interval - also accounts for accidental "top-offs" with non-Toyota spec coolant and distilled water at some service centers and like.

My 2005 has 100k on it. was thinking of changing the coolant tomorrow. The stuff in it is yellowish. I've had it since new. Isn't it supposed to be red or pink?

DO i have to buy toyota stuff or is there another brand that will work. the stuff in it looks like prestone.

If you bought it new - should be red/pink coolant. Only yellow coolants out there are made for Chrysler and some long life aftermarket coolants. Sometimes it is hard to tell the color by looking in the cooling system or the overflow jug - I'd drain a bit and see what color it actually is. Whatever you plan on doing, try and match the old coolant - if the old coolant is unknown - then flush the entire system with distilled water and refill with one kind of coolant. Many will work with others, but the additive packs used might not be 100% compatible. The end result is the additive package is not as effective as it should be, reducing the corrosion protection feature of the coolant.

Topic List