Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By dshadle1, June 24, 2011

This morning I found a 5-qt jug of Valvoline NextGen (recycled) High Mileage MaxLife at Wal-Mart for $17.50. There was a $5 coupon attached and Valvoline is running a $10 mail-in rebate on this product. I didn't read all the fine print but it seems like an unbeatable deal if you can score a jug with the coupon.

I have mixed feelings about the NextGen. I've been using it for the past 2,000 miles and it is about average in terms of oil consumption on my oil burning Prizm. I'm giving it a second chance on my next change sometimes in the coming days.

Interesting. I'd also give it another go - just to build up more statistics. Did you notice any change in fuel economy? Idle quality?

According to the manufacturer's product sheet, the NextGen is supposed to be better at controlling higher temperature volatility compared to the standard fare Valvoline MaxLife motor oil. Additive pack with the NextGen is a little heavier, but excessively so. Most motor oils already have some portion of their basestock from re-cycled and re-refined oils - so they are not reinventing the wheel here.

My previous oil change was Castrol GTX HM (also a good oil but it didn't mitigate oil consumption for me). Fuel economy and idle quality were the same for it and the NextGen MaxLife, but burnoff was slightly slower with NextGen. I'm thinking with a fresh change it might be even slower.

Personally, I've heard and read a lot of people saying that they would NEVER touch the NextGen but it has been at least average for me--no complaints. Rotella T5 10w-30 blew through my engine faster than any oil I've tried.

It's been nearly 7 years and 50,000+ miles since I started noticing massive oil consumption, by the way, which is a testament to the fact that these 1zz-fe engines are still good despite the piston design issues.

Interesting. I'd also give it another go - just to build up more statistics. Did you notice any change in fuel economy? Idle quality?

According to the manufacturer's product sheet, the NextGen is supposed to be better at controlling higher temperature volatility compared to the standard fare Valvoline MaxLife motor oil. Additive pack with the NextGen is a little heavier, but excessively so. Most motor oils already have some portion of their basestock from re-cycled and re-refined oils - so they are not reinventing the wheel here.

Great find - thanks for sharing! Was wondering about the G-oil, now that I could potential get it for very cheap or free - might be willing to check it out now.

Topic List