Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Is This Hole On A Top Of 1Zz-Fe Engine

By friendly_jacek, June 12, 2011

friendly_jacek

I did throttle body cleaning (wasn't that dirty after 75000 miles) and noticed that empty threaded hole wet with oil and with dirt accumulated near by (cleaned by the time I took picture). Is there something missing? No this is not a hole for holding the plastic cover.

Also, how you clean dirty aluminum valve cover?

For a 8th gen with cruise control, that hole accepts a support bracket for the throttle cable going in and out of the actuator.

EDIT: In case image doesn't show: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/buurin/corolla/img_4000.jpg

The silver piece right in the middle just on top of valve cover.

Must be a carryover.

How come you have the engine lift hook and mine didn't?

Yeah, my 8th gen doesn't have the engine hook either - must be a 9th gen feature. I think even the 2ZZ-GE had the hook like that, though I can't remember off the top of my head.

As for cleaning aluminum - depends on how "clean" you want it. That piece has a texture from the manufacturer (think fine sand-blasted finish - satin finish) - so would take some abrasive material to clean that up. Some cleaners can also react with aluminum and stain it - so you have to keep that in mind. Unfortunately, most of the chemicals you buy will either clean up the oil/dirt or surface corrosion, but not both. I personally like Berryman Chemtool solvents for oil and grease - but will stain aluminum if you leave it on too long. To clean up the surface corrosion, a wire wheel works well, though you have to work the whole piece to make it look OK. I've tried various Scotchbrite pads and similar - but not abrasive enough to get the corrosion off. Some like steel wheel, some don't - last time I tried, it left little bits of steel wire on the aluminum - so that part now looks like rusted aluminum.

My '01 Prizm has the hook. Someone knew these engines would need to be taken out...default_blink

My '01 Prizm has the hook. Someone knew these engines would need to be taken out...default_blink

Interesting. I wonder if it is a regional thing (dealer or port installed), or where the engines were assembled (USA: TMM or NUMMI, Canada: TMMC, or Japan). On my 2002 Corolla, my VIN starts with a 2, so it is manufactured at the Canada: TMMC plant.

I also forgot to mention - friendly_jacek - that is an amazingly clean engine, at least compared to mine. Mine is completely salt pitted, rust everywhere, even though I periodically wash down the engine bay.

I don't have the hook either. I just looked and mine came from the same plant as yours fish.

Buurin I'm not seeing your pic. Is it showing for anyone else?

I don't have the hook either. I just looked and mine came from the same plant as yours fish.

Buurin I'm not seeing your pic. Is it showing for anyone else?

Mine was produced at NUMMI. One more data point at least.

Topic List