Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Center Console Complaint

Guest kebrown69

Anybody replaced their center console (or even just the flip up part) with something higher? Does anyone know if the Matrix console will work on the corolla? I just got my 2005 corolla and that is the only thing that I don't like. Thanks.

Chad_G_77

Yeah, it is a little too low isn't it. I just bought an '05 and that's one of the first things I noticed after driving it for a little while. It would be nice if it were just a couple inches higher. Then it would fall in line with where my elbow would rest. I'm not sure of any mods that would raise the height, but I'm sure you could have something done/made.

If you find anything, be sure to post it up. I'd like to fix my console in the future as well.

Perhaps sticking some sort of closed-cell foam pad to the top of the console would suffice. The trick would be to make it a proper color match for the original console cover.

BTW -- what makes you think that the top of that console bin cover is intended to serve as an armrest? I've never suspected that purpose, personally -- but then, I usually drive with my hands at 10 and 2 and don't adopt a "laid back/slouching" position when driving. I always assume that while driving, I'm doing something that deserves my full attention and participation. Dealing with drivers with a less committed attitude toward their driving makes my own job all the more difficult and dangerous.

Chad_G_77

I'm 6' 4" tall... When I have my right hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, my arm can rest on the center console. Thanks for your concern about unsafe drivers though.

Guest Corollasroyce

ive never personally had a dislike for the console position....but then again ive never really been in a car with a convient one either so im not sure what to compair it to, ive read some people have problems with the controll positions too, and i don't know if you would have to be an elf or what, but im only 5"10 and i have no problems what-so-ever with anything in this car, the only thing i don't klike is the crappy OEM tires....but that comes on any brand new car with the exception of exotics.

Ti-Jean

I too miss the convenient and well placed console armrest from my past 99 Accord.

I took a close look and I am almost certain that an LE's armrest would fit the CE's console. The LE's has another flip up compartment but it is the same at the base, where it is screwed to the center console with only 2 screws.

I talked with the service representative at my dealer the other day for a swap and all he could tell me was that the center console itself is different on the 2 models because of a different part number. But I am not convinced that an LE armrest won't fit a CE.

Next year, I plan to investigate further and try to fit one on my car.

By the way, Toyota asks $155.50C for the LE's lid. Pricey. If scrap yards had one in stock, the right color?

If anything on this topic, let me know.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)