Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

My 2005 Engine Dies

By Snow Tire May 11, 2011

My 2005 corolla bogs and looses power at speeds just over 115 mph. Is this a common defect?

115?........

That is the fuel cutoff point (ECM safety parameter) - hence the power loss.

I had a 93 Police Caprice, I put in a performance chip and new 140 mph tires and it was able to exceed the speed safety limit.

I no longer race at unsafe speeds due to many tickets, traffic safety school, and near death experiences.

But I wonder if there is a way to chip it or some other way to disable the ECM safety just in case of a life threatening emergency that may require me to travel at 6000 RPMS

IN 5th gear.

I have a 2005 5 speed standard trans. with old ecm still attached .

A Corolla is the wrong car to try and get up to that speed - the engine might have enough power to be able to push it up there eventually - but the chassis is way too soft to handle those extremes. Pushing 6000RPMs in 5th on the Corolla could get you up to 135MPH, but those that have bypassed the fuel cutoff could not get the car over 118MPH due to aero drag, not enough power. A Corolla XRS could do it with 170HP, but even so, would struggle quite a bit to hit anything above 130MPH.

Pushing your 1993 Caprice up that speed is pretty brave. Granted it is a heavier car and has a full frame - but tell that to lots of the officers and others that wrapped those cars almost completely around poles/trees - the chassis just couldn't keep up with the motor, even with the upgrades consistent with their police package.

You are correct that you'll have to bypass the ECM to get past that speed cutoff point. How to do it, I will not post on this site, though there is plenty of information out on the web - just search.

Thank you for your reply.

When I tested the chevy it took a long time to get up to the higher speeds.

I think I was starring at the speedometer at 121 mph . I must have been insane , I smoked back then also.

My Impala SS did over 135 much more quickly before I ran out of road. This was also crazy as I ran out of road in a curve on a tree lined road.

That was 1996 I won"t be trying it again with a corolla.

Thanks again.

ever_green

i did hit 118mph once couple years ago, confirmed it with gps on my iphone 3g at an old abandoned track here in GTA. it was the last time i ever went over 75mph. corolla is just not designed to go that fast. the steering is way too light for high speeds and the suspension and chasis too soft. also my tires ask not to exceed that speed, so i didn't. but i think i could have hit 125 easy, i don't remember any power loss. i don't have a tach so i don't know if i was at 6000rpm or not. one trick is to use larger diameter wheels to mod gear ratios. this way youll increase top speed but reduce acceleration.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)