Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By buurin, May 10, 2011

I think my manual tranny (junkyard unit from a 2001) ground itself to death. I have posted on TN but no response yet.

Apparently the 98-02 manual tranny has the tallest final drive of all. Looks like I'll have to stay with it.

But i'd like to get an LSD without changing too much else. What LSD would fit? And is it possible to put a C60 6-speed tranny in?

I need to start collecting parts now if I am to make it to the track again this year.

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. If you don't mind me asking - do you know what failed on it? Synchos? Worn teeth on gears? Failed bearing?

Yes, the C60 can be installed in the 8th gen Corollas without issue. Overall gear ratios might be slightly off the powerband, though being a relatively torquey engine, the 1ZZ-FE should still prove to be very flexible with that transaxle. As for LSD - there are a few out there for both of these transaxles (C59 5-speed or the C60 6-speed). Monkeywrenchracing would be the most likely shop to have those in stock - Quaife, Kaaz, TRD are the brands that I've seen used in 1ZZ and 2ZZ applications. Some swear by Phantom Grip - for the price, it is hard to beat - though for a little bit more, you could have a real LSD installed (Quaife ~$800-$900, PG ~$300-$350).

Thanks. Knowing C60 can go in without issues is a relief. Matt @ MWR doesn't know 8th gens that well.

I need to drain the oil and look for metal. If I don't find anything there I'll need to tear it down to find out. At that point I'd probably just get a Quaife and bring it to a local shop for install together with a reman.

Is the axle different?

A not so related question - did Toyota shorten the final drive for 9th gen C59? I read about a MR-S swap that mentions going for a 98-02 C59 for the tall final drive. From that thread, final drive are:

C60 USDM=4.529 (!!!)

C60 EUDM/MWR=3.941

C59 98-02=3.722

C59 03+=3.941

C56 ZZT230=3.250

Top gear in my gen of C59 may already be 0.725 so I can't probably get more FE benefits without getting a 3.25 diff gear installed.

Is the axle different?

A not so related question - did Toyota shorten the final drive for 9th gen C59? I read about a MR-S swap that mentions going for a 98-02 C59 for the tall final drive. From that thread, final drive are:

Let us know what you find in the transaxle when you drain the oil. Which oil were you running in the transaxle?

Axles are the same between the 1ZZ and 2ZZ applications (EDIT: Should clarify that this is for the same generation, in this case the 9th gen - 8th and 9th gen axles are not interchangeable). Depending on where the LSD was sourced, but have to go with different axles - but for the most part, should be fine. Probably wouldn't hurt to check on the axles - make sure they are in good shape.

I believe that the transaxle's final gear for the 9th gen were shorter (numerically higher) than the ones for the 8th gen. The 9th gen 1ZZ-FE were turning over about 1000 RPMS higher at speed, compared to my 8th gen. The revisions in cam profile, ECM tuning, and design changes in the powertrain for the 9th gen did a lot to help preserve FE. In some cases, the 9th gen Corollas got bettwe FE than the 8th gen, even turning over at higher engine RPMs at speed.

Is the axle different?

Let us know what you find in the transaxle when you drain the oil. Which oil were you running in the transaxle?

I found a mixture of relatively big metal chunks, shavings, shiny debris, metal slurry.

First fill since the manual swap was 2qt Royal Purple MaxGear 75w90; 2 years later it was changed to 1qt MT90 and 1qt motomaster semi-synthetic. I have one unopened bottle of MT90 remaining. Plan to buy one more then use that to fill the replacement.

I have located a 2000 tranny locally for $605. Listed as 144k. Is it a good idea to arrange a rebuild of that before installing?

I would have bought a few more tools to replace it myself, but family vehemently insists that I pay a shop for the job. default_tongue

Looks like plan would be MWR chromoly flywheel while the trans is out, reman/rebuilt stock transmission, MT90 fill, and probably a stainless steel clutch hose and a longer push rod. Could be that my clutch is not disengaging fully when depressed.

To rebuild a used transaxle a good idea or not? Hard to say for sure - a good idea, but worth the investment - depends on what the shop will charge to do the work and what work the will do to it. A properly rebuilt transaxle "should" last as long as a brand new one. So that might be the incentive right there. I'd call around to different shops and see what they charge for that transaxle, what work they will plan to do, what experience they have with Toyota gearboxes.

As for your plan for the rest of the build - sounds excellent - would be exactly what I'd pickup, if I ever get around to rebuilding the transaxle at home (5-speed as well as a newly acquired 6-speed - both were "worked" on by their owners and completely messed up - trying to see how much I can salvage). MWR chromoly flywheel + MT90 oil + longer pushrod coupled with modest clutch package is a great upgrade - OEM smoothness, with better operation and greater durability.

I started taking the transmission apart. Here's what I found so far:

Output shaft rear bearing totally disintegrated - plastic retainer vanished, the 7 balls inside ground to some unknown shape

5th driven gear scraped against bearing retainer plate - a $216 and $112 part respectively default_ohmy

Metal pieces everywhere

Differential ring gear badly chipped, as seen through the drain hole - I still couldn't separate the trans case and diff case. I'm sure I'll find more damaged parts once I get past this point.

Where can I find those upgraded gear parts for a 5speed? MWR again only really caters to C6x trannies...

I've seen upgraded gear parts for a C50/C52 series 5-speed and the bulletproof E-series 5-speeds, but haven't run across something for the C59 on the 8th gen/9th gen 5-speeds. There are shows that will treat the gears in any transaxle - cryotreating is getting more and more popular. Though any gains are hard to quantify. Same with shops that do various metal carburization, nitriding, or boriding. Will toughen the surface of the gears, but also tend to make them more prone to surface cracking and chipping. Gears themselves haven't been known to be an issue in that transaxle, the later ones had issues with the input shaft bearing having too much play and issues with syncros.

It sounds like bad luck that the output shaft bearing disintegrated like that, taking everything else out. Can be rebuilt with OEM parts, but likely cost way more than just sourcing another transaxle. Probably will get a better idea once you split the housing from the rest of the transaxle and lay all the parts out in front of you.

It sounds like bad luck that the output shaft bearing disintegrated like that, taking everything else out. Can be rebuilt with OEM parts, but likely cost way more than just sourcing another transaxle. Probably will get a better idea once you split the housing from the rest of the transaxle and lay all the parts out in front of you.

which I did after 3 days. I started a new thread for that since I don't think I'm going to get LSD...

Topic List