Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla Front Driver Side Wheel

By twinky64, May 3, 2011

I have a 2001 corolla 5spd.

My front driver's side wheel squeaks in a pulse rhythmic fashion. When I make a left turn (causing the suspension to unload and minimal lateral stress on the wheel bearing), the squeak occurs. The faster my velocity, the faster the squeaking. The hotter the ambient temperature, the more likely the squeak occurs. If I've been using the brakes heavily (like braking on an offramp), then I'm more likely to squeak on left turns. Sometimes, I don't even really need to unload the suspension too much, squeaking will sometimes occur just by turning the steering wheel left 15-20 degrees. Sensitivity to squeaking is USUALLY hightened when hot.

However, on a cold start up or on cold conditions (ie. morning), I don't squeak on left turns. I usually start squeaking after 20 minutes of driving if ambient temp is cool. If ambient temp is warm (today was 85 deg), my first left turn experienced some squeaking.

I've narrowed it down to the drivers side because I've been hearing for the passenger side. Had a passenger hear for it on their end...nothing. My passenger agrees it's sourced from the driver's side. I've placed anti-squeal on pads and this didn't eliminate the problem or reduce it in the slightest.

What do you guys think?

wheel bearing?

Do you have wheel covers (Hub Caps) on your car?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)