Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By friendly_jacek, May 1, 2011

friendly_jacek

I'm very anal about perfect oil changes and a proud member of BITOG that makes me a full fledged oil geek.

Thus, I'm a bit upset when I learned today that the oil changes I did were incorrect as Toyota increased oil capacity by 0.5 L and issued a new revised dipstick with oil level 10 mm higher: link to TSB pdf

I made a new mark on my oil dipstick and hope it will cut the oil consumption.

A also posted about it on BITOG: BITOG forum link

• 149 posts

Hello f-j:

Papa Bear here. It's odd that the Vibe isn't included in the TSB ... should it be ???

^^^

I know that the Vibe isn't included in alot of TSBs that the Matrix is involved in. Some Vibe owners on the Matrixowners forum and TN have just overfilled their existing engines by 1/2 quart (about 3/8" over the full line on the old dipstick) with no issues at all.

Technically, this can be also applied to 8th gen Corollas/Prism with the 1ZZ-FE as well - but I believe this was done on the 9th gen models in anticipation of running the thinner 5w-20 motor oil starting with the 2006 model years (5w-20 approved for earlier years as well).

I could see this as a band-aid fix for oil consumption. Note that the old (3.7qt) oil level itself will have no bearing on oil consumption due to stuck rings, but the degradation of that oil, due to a limited supply of oil available in the engine, will require extensive oil quality monitoring that is likely not possible with most owners. Increasing 1/2 quart doesn't sound like much, but just like with extended oil change intervals, even a small amount of make up oil (fresh oil) will greatly boost the longevity of the oil being used. So this is brought out as more of a "safety" cushion than anything else.

Unfortunate that is came about so late - the 1ZZ-FE is a pretty decent engine, just the design of it and how people drive the car, how Toyota is pushing lower maintenance - puts a lot of strain on the oil. Aftermarket has recognized this and there are oil pans with kickouts, enhance oil cooling, and baffling to increase oil capacity to 6 quarts and make sure oil gets to the oil pickup.

Technically, this can be also applied to 8th gen Corollas/Prism with the 1ZZ-FE as well - but I believe this was done on the 9th gen models in anticipation of running the thinner 5w-20 motor oil starting with the 2006 model years (5w-20 approved for earlier years as well).

When I was at a dealer ordering a transmission gasket kit I saw a poster listing approved oil grades and I saw 98-02 being approved for 5w-20 as well. Does it mean it's OK to run full 4L (well, maybe 4qt - 3.78L) of 5w-20 with a tall YZZF1 oil filter?

When I was at a dealer ordering a transmission gasket kit I saw a poster listing approved oil grades and I saw 98-02 being approved for 5w-20 as well. Does it mean it's OK to run full 4L (well, maybe 4qt - 3.78L) of 5w-20 with a tall YZZF1 oil filter?
I don't see why not, I'm currently running 0w-30 on a tall YZZF1 filer as well - same specs on the short and tall filter. 5w-20 motor oil should not too thin for most owners - though ones that experience oil consumption in their engine might see consumption go up, even owners that don't see oil consumption should keep an eye on oil levels.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)