Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By buurin, April 3, 2011

I need help quick because I only have tomorrow to work on my car and things I can turn up in a search, I have already tried.

My car clunks over bump and the sway bar link is loose. I'm doing an oil change/tire changeover/2yr service/wash and wax all at once. Passenger side was torqued up no problem, driver side is now frozen and permanently loose, and the hex key hole on both ends have stripped. Can't trust that link anymore so I bought a replacement - crappy tire made by Moog, C$54. Now I just need to get the old out.

I tried liquid wrench, propane torch, visegrips on the backside (it just spins). I have thought about drilling out the stud through the allen key hole, bore it thin enough so I can just wrench and snap the nut off, or cutting off the nut's flange and put a nut splitter on it, but I don't have the nut splitter - have to buy one.

Before I retire for the day I dropped some more liquid wrench on it.

What's my best plan?

ps. I only bought one for driver side. Should I buy a second for the other side?

I need help quick because I only have tomorrow to work on my car and things I can turn up in a search, I have already tried.

My car clunks over bump and the sway bar link is loose. I'm doing an oil change/tire changeover/2yr service/wash and wax all at once. Passenger side was torqued up no problem, driver side is now frozen and permanently loose, and the hex key hole on both ends have stripped. Can't trust that link anymore so I bought a replacement - crappy tire made by Moog, C$54. Now I just need to get the old out.

I tried liquid wrench, propane torch, visegrips on the backside (it just spins). I have thought about drilling out the stud through the allen key hole, bore it thin enough so I can just wrench and snap the nut off, or cutting off the nut's flange and put a nut splitter on it, but I don't have the nut splitter - have to buy one.

Before I retire for the day I dropped some more liquid wrench on it.

What's my best plan?

ps. I only bought one for driver side. Should I buy a second for the other side?

I assume that you are talking about your 1999 Corolla. From the Service Manual I think that you are referring to the item in red on the attached:

Can you use vise grips on each nut and carefully drill out the end of each bolt? The lower bolt seems most problematic.

Try not to nick the sway bar or the suspension attachment material. I think that you did say that you have a replacement link for the driver's side.

heat it with a torch and hammer a torx bit into the hex while its hot, heat it more, then use a wrench and ratchet to remove it.

Topic List