Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Supercharging 06?

By nightpicnic, April 2, 2011

i saw the video with the TRD charger and i googled to see if i could buy one off ebay or something.

i found these two:

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/RAM/Performance_Parts/Superchargers/1_PSI_Super_Charger_System/18149/

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Supercharger/Performance_Parts/Superchargers/Supercharger_Turbonator/18105/

i dont exactly believe the claims they make but if i can get 20 HP out of a 80 dollar piece of metal then hell yeah.

Also, if you know off the top of your head, what would be the best way to upgrade the aspiration on the VTTi?

The infamous electric supercharger. I'd be surprised if you get performance parity with those units, more likely, you'd end up loosing power. To effectively pressurize the intake charge, you have to positively pressurize the intake - can't do that with an axial fan, no matter how strong it is. Problem is fan stalling - fan blades will pull air the air up to a certain point, before it is no longer able to move any more air.

Bottom line - skip these, total waste of money and time. If you want to go forced induction, you'll have to go with the TRD or similar blowers or go with a turbocharger - got to pay to play with these engines. The 1ZZ-FE is pretty well optimized from the manufacturer - typical bolt-ons will make more of an audible impact than impressive power gains. Even the best bolt-ons will typically net you 5-7WHP in the end. Unless you invest in more extensive modification (cams, increase compression, turbo/supercharger, nitrous, etc.) - hard to see big gains from the 1ZZ-FE.

Corolla will take very well to suspension and brake mods - so I'd start there first - good thing is mods here will complement any future power mods. If your need is power now - have to make a decision of how involved you want to get, what you want to spend. Typical bolt-ons cannot be repurposed for a forced induction application. So there is no sense in spending money on a decent CAI, header, and exhaust, if you plan on going with a turbocharger - as you'll have to modify those area for the turbo. For the TRD supercharger application - something like a PPE header is a good choice (pricey though). CAI are generally not recommended with the supercharger unless you are tuned for it - again requires a good bit of time and money to get there.

Topic List