Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2008 Corolla Manual Transmission

Guest sajsan

I obtained a used 2008 Corolla CE. 23000km on the clock from Toyota dealership. Previous vehicle was 99 Corolla VE, 215000km original clutch and gearbox still going strong.

While driving, i notice that the 3rd gear while shifting ok, tends to encounter what appears to be a slight latch/catching feeling like there is a stopping bar and then goes thru fine. no grinding noise etc;

I have been driving manual corollas only for 21 years now; first time seeing this. It shifts all other gears fine both up and down. I notice this latching/catching from time to time even when test shifting in a switched off vehicle. May be it is something i have to get accustomed to.Is this a sign of something is not ok?

I have an appointment with the dealership since transmission is still under warranty.

Definitely get it back to the dealership - between the two generations - the transaxles are identical, save the ratios inside. Granted, the gearbox has to haul around a car that is heavier, but shouldn't feel or that sticky or hang up on a gear. If you search around, there are others that have issues with their 9th generation Corolla gearboxes. Most of the issues come from the type and grade of gear oil to use - some oils "seem" to accelerate gearbox wear. At the very least, have the dealership drain out the old lube and refill with fresh lube - check and lube the linkages.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)