Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2011 Corolla Steering

by rajmaraj863, March 2, 2011

Hey guys, i got my 2011 corolla about a couple weeks back, and the steering is a bit weird; sensitive. When i drive, it feels a bit loose, very easy to turn. Should i take it to the dealer to check it out, or is that how its supposed to be?

ever_green

definitely take it back but i do have a feeling that it is normal for the electric steering systems.

Hey guys, i got my 2011 corolla about a couple weeks back, and the steering is a bit weird; sensitive. When i drive, it feels a bit loose, very easy to turn. Should i take it to the dealer to check it out, or is that how its supposed to be?

There is a T-SB on the electric steering, but the procedure for the fix should already have been handled for your '11 model. Take it in, and tell 'em about it. If they tell you it's not important, take it to another dealer. Trust me, not all Toyota dealers are cut from the same cloth.

If, like me, you hadn't prior experience with electric-assist steering, it should feel different to you, 'cause it is miles removed from hydraulic systems of yore. Personally, I've grown fond of my '09 Corolla's steering; it's decidedly easier to steer than my wife's '09 Focus, which is equipped with a hydraulic steering system.

ever_green

never liked electric steering and never will. personally i think its dangerous to have so little feedback from the wheels.

• 149 posts

Certainly, see what the dealer says. Didn't you take a demo out for a spin before you bought the new one ?? Ask if you can try a couple of demos on the lot to see if they behave the same.

Hey guys thanks for your replies, and sorry for the late reply. I took it in today and they said the alignment was off a bit, it does drive with less fight, but its still too easy to control. I will try to drive it some more to see what the specific problem is. However at highway speeds, its quite easy to veer off, especially behind trucks, and in rain, and both. If i do go to another dealer and ask them about that TS-B, what should i tell them? and what if they do not want to acknowledge the problem?

To be honest, all i want is to make my steering a bit harder, or sturdier to drive with, what do you suppose they will do if they do take it in to fix?

Thanks again guys!

Hey guys thanks for your replies, and sorry for the late reply. I took it in today and they said the alignment was off a bit, it does drive with less fight, but its still too easy to control. I will try to drive it some more to see what the specific problem is. However at highway speeds, its quite easy to veer off, especially behind trucks, and in rain, and both. If i do go to another dealer and ask them about that TS-B, what should i tell them? and what if they do not want to acknowledge the problem?

To be honest, all i want is to make my steering a bit harder, or sturdier to drive with, what do you suppose they will do if they do take it in to fix?

Thanks again guys!

Here you go, buddy:

http://www.toyotapart.com/Steering_Off_Center_Feel_TSB014010.pdf

All Toyota dealers are not cut from the same cloth! For instance, I took 2 other bulletins -- printed out, mind you -- to my original dealer, Superior Toyota in Parkersburg, WV, and they couldn't have cared less about them. In fact, they couldn't have cared less to the point that they told me they didn't have my VIN on file. Didn't have my VIN on file, they said!

After I shook the dust of that place off my shoes, I went directly to C & C Toyota Scion in Marietta, OH. What a difference! No attitude, no telling me they didn't have my VIN -- just a businesslike, positive affirmation that they'd take care of them.

If your current dealer gives you flack, I'd suggest not making a fuss, and go to a dealer who will treat you like a real person. Good Toyota dealers are out there, and maybe you won't have any trouble with the one you have now. Hope not.

Cheers:)

• 149 posts

Thanks again guys!

So did they correct the alignment? Did you ask to try another vehicle or two to see if they are all that way? Your car has electric power steering, doesn't it? I believe that lack of road feel is a common complaint with electric power steering.

I asked above and you didn't answer... did you not test drive the car before you bought it?

Thanks corollamike, ill try another dealer and ask them about the TSB, maybe i shouls call ahead and try moree dealers that way?

Hey Papa Bear, they did correct the alignment, i did try another corolla s, and its the same way, my car has electric power steering w/ assist (thats what is giving problems i think) i did test dive the car before i purchased, but it seemed normal and i didnt get to test it on the highway.

Thanks again for your replies!

• 1,424 posts

Hey,

I have a 2010 Corolla 'S' with EPS, a 2011 Camry XLE with EPS and also had a 2004 Mazda3S with EPS.

The lack of road feel and sensitivity you're talking about is 100% normal for EPS.

You aren't used to steering that is boosted to that degree and it will take some getting used to but once you do, it won't be an issue.

I now after having driven cars with EPS regularly for six years have no issues jumping in an EPS equipped car.

I actually have problems driving a non EPS car as the steering feels very heavy to me.

ever_green

yep i told you i had a feeling its the just how electric steering works. i dont know much about steering mods but maybe you get a hydraulic steering installed? fish would know more. i personally like heavy steering with lots of road feel. My 8th corolla has moderate-light steering with lots of road feel specially with good tires and good amount of tire pressure. i can always tell how many legs the bug i just ran over had.

Topic List