Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Noise From Dash, How To Get Rid Of It?

By quietvibes, February 10, 2011

Hi, I got a 95 corolla. Recently, there is an annoying noise from the front dash that sounds like it's coming from the instrument panel. It sounds like a light tapping or rattle. It is not severe but just annoying. It is better on smooth road.

When I parked my car on the driveway, I touched the dashboard above the instrument gauges and tried to "move it" to see if it's secure. Just my mere putting force on it makes that same noise.

How do you remove that piece? Would putting some silicone where plastics mates help?

Thanks

• 149 posts

Not sure where you live but it sounds like my car when the plastic dash is very cold. The noise will go away when the temp warms up.

You could try tightening screws as well, thats helped me numerous times. After a few years stuff can shake itself loose.

invest in a can of Good Stuff... find the source of the noise and squirt a TINYYYY amount . it will expand.. harden and stop the noise.. but be very careful its easy to get that crap on EVERYTHING and it does not come off..esp from skin..so test you abilities before jumpin in the car and squirting like a bottle of afrin.

^^^ That's a decent idea - I use that expanding DOW Great Stuff polyurethane foam in the house all the time, but I'm afraid that even a small amount will distort plastic paneling in the car. Plus is seems that it will stick to everything except the portion that you intend to use the stuff on. Also not sure if it will stain the material in the car, probably stay on the safe side and mask anything you don't want the foam to touch. If any squeezes out, wait until it cures that you can trim it off with a razor blade.

• 54 posts

I have a noise in my dash too, but I'm pretty sure I know what it is...

The foam seals that the factory uses to seal the pieces of hvac duct to one another have like a plastic tape backing... well, when I turn on my defrosters a piece of that tape-backed foam flaps around in there somewhere. The first time I heard it, I thought there was a mouse trapped in the system... then I realized what it was and decided to ignore it for as long as possible due to the nature of the problem and how much effort will go into remediating it...

It's driven me past the point of bonkers, and I think I'm going to have to fix it. I may replace my evaporator while I have the interior gutted... Perhaps this is a good time to try my hand at a write-up?

^^^ That's a decent idea - I use that expanding DOW Great Stuff polyurethane foam in the house all the time, but I'm afraid that even a small amount will distort plastic paneling in the car. Plus is seems that it will stick to everything except the portion that you intend to use the stuff on. Also not sure if it will stain the material in the car, probably stay on the safe side and mask anything you don't want the foam to touch. If any squeezes out, wait until it cures that you can trim it off with a razor blade.

yes it will stain material, the good part is it will not permanently bond to smooth plastic, usually everythign behind the dash is smooth so disassembly requires a slight tug and the foam breaks off one side or the other.. and cleanup is easier with a razor blade.

Topic List