Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1997 Corolla Rattling Noise

by LambertJohn, January 5, 2011 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

First time poster here. My wife drives a 97 Corolla CE with the 1.6 engine. It's got 170K miles on it, and other than it being a loud engine, we've had very few issues with it. We've had the timing belt changed last year including the water pump; a power steering hose replaced, and of course, all the regular tune-up items (oil, plugs, filters, etc.) It's a good car! That's probably why we've kept it in the family for 13 years. Dang thing simply won't die.

Just yesterday, my wife fired the car up to go to work. I happened to be standing there by the car when she did, and I noticed a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment, somewhere around the belts/power steering pump/belt pulleys. I've read on this forum about folks replacing their drive belt tensioner pulleys due to faulty bearings?, but it always seems to be a gen 8 or 9 Corolla; I think ours is gen 7.

Anyway, my question is this: do you think the rattling noise is coming from my drive belt tensioner pulley (or is it called accessory belt idler pulley?) If so, can anyone out there give me some tips on replacing the tensioner pulley on a 97 Corolla? Of course, if it's not my drive belt tensioner, then I'd appreciate any opinions on what you might think it is. I'm able to do the work myself, just don't want to be throwing a bunch of unnecessary parts at the car without knowing exactly what my problem is.

Thanks a lot guys. I do appreciate your help with this.

Welcome to the forums.

Correct on the belt tensioner being an issue on 8th gen (1998-2002) and 9th gen (2003-2008) Corollas. The 7th gen using v-belts does not have the serpentine belt issue the newer generations have.

Idler pulley would be a good place to start. I'd start by removing the belt and turning the idler pulley by hand first. See if you note any slop or noise when you spin it.

I'm assuming that when they changed the timing belt and waterpump, they also changed the timing belt tensioner. If not, that is one possible source of the noise. Unfortunately, you'll have to pull all the belts off, pull the timing cover plate off and the timing belt to get to it.

Rattling could also be from unrelated systems - could be a worn engine mount, loose heat shield, loose clamp or bracket, etc. - as it is pretty tough to isolate noise under the hood, even if you are right on top of the source. You could try pulling the belts off and running the car for a couple of seconds - see if one of the other pulleys being driven is the culprit. If you don't feel comfortable with that - you can always just turn the pulleys by hand after removing the belt. There should be absolutely no play in any of the pulleys radially and axially.

Thanks Fishexpo101! Good stuff. I appreciate it. The noise is definitely coming from something that's "turning." It's a squeaking and rattling noise that sounds like it's moving, like a squeaky bike tire. But it seems to go quiet we get on the gas pedal when the car is in neutral. Anyway, I'm going to do what you suggested tomorrow, and get back with you. Thanks again!

Thanks Fishexpo101! Good stuff. I appreciate it. The noise is definitely coming from something that's "turning." It's a squeaking and rattling noise that sounds like it's moving, like a squeaky bike tire. But it seems to go quiet we get on the gas pedal when the car is in neutral. Anyway, I'm going to do what you suggested tomorrow, and get back with you. Thanks again!

Hey fish, it sounds like the old power steering pump . If the noise is only when the car is cold and the temperature is low you might want to change the power steering fluid with synthetic and put on a new belt. Very cheap and simple fix. All my corolla's make these noises when COLD . All now have synthetic fluid and gatorback belts . Noise has either ended or only made when car is in zero degree weather.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm