Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Tires On A 2009 Corolla Standard

By Guest gm33, January 3, 2011 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Guest gm33

Hi All!

New here. Looking around the internet for some advise on tires and thought this would be a great place to ask.

I apologies in advance for the newbie-ish question. I have 33k on my 09 Corolla Standard. I need 4 new tires (down to 3/32 (yikes!) on the OEMs (Affinatys). With cost not an issue, what do you all recommend? (I'm not looking for snow tires, as that is not an option for me at this time due to cost/storage, etc). I feel so overwhelmed looking at all the choices!

Here is some info on my driving habits and prefs.:

--My overall concern is something is is good in the snow/winter (again, looking for something to keep on year-round, not snow tires.)

--I live in the hills of Massachusetts, so in the snow season, there can be snow on local roads but there is quite a bit of rain in the summer, too.

--I drive about 15k miles a year

--Daily commute is about 15 miles of 30mph and 20 miles of 65 mph round trip

--As you can see from above, I don't speed around, so a "race/sport" type tire isn't a factor for me (unless of course it fits what I am looking for).

--Aside from that, I do spend some time in the summer driving on the highway at 65 mph+ on the weekends/holidays.

--I suppose I care more about traction than noise/comfort.

--I'm assuming I'm looking for something that has a great UTGQ rating (AA's or A's)

--Would like something that has a proven track record for being a great tire.

My toyota dealer recommended firestone ..I think Grand Tourings for $560 with balancing and alignment.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• 149 posts

What tire size came on your car? Check Tire Rack ...

ever_green

first of all welcome to corolland. second of all what size wheels? i definatelly would not pay $560 for firestones. maybe 300-400 for them, they are crap. i hope you haven't bought them yet.

If you really don't want winter tires (a big mistake many make) then get the Nokian WRG2 all-year tire. should be good on any surface. the only cons is its price, should be about 120$ a tire. which is still cheaper than the offer you got for crapstones. They are almost as good as winter tires in snow but not as fuel efficient and gripping as allseasons in summer. For a good old all season i recommend any NON green-x michelin harmony tires.

Guest gm33

Thanks! I have 195/65-15.

Looks like I'm deciding between the Nokian WRG2s, Energy Saver A/S, and HydroEdge...not sure if the WRG2s are overkill though. There's not that much snow here and I do like to drive a lot (highway) in the summer.

Some tires that I've used in mixed weather and seen decent results.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position A/S

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

The Potenza is rated a high performance all-season tire. Compared to the Turanza, which is a touring tire, Potenza will trade some ride quality,increased noise, and tire life for more traction. Potenzas are what I have on my Corolla right now - with the little bit of snow and ice that we had - had zero problems getting to where I needed to go. Similar tires that I've had hold up to around the 30-40K mile range with this compound of tire.

The Turanza we have on our Camry - probably one of the best riding tires we've put on the car. Like there is a cushion between yourself and the road. Its high treadwear rating means you could be in them for a while, even at 15K a year, likely see road hazard damage before you wear these tires out. Similar to the Potenzas, good all around capability for an all-season. No problem with light snow and some ice.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S we running on the Camry prior to the Turanzas. They hit the middle ground between the Potenza and Turanza in terms of performance, traction, and treadwear. Michelin is a well known company that makes long lasting tires, though that can be pretty sensitive to tire air pressures. The Bridgestones seem to be more forgiving in that regard.

Plus side - all of these are available in your tire size and well like in this and other forums. Choices, choices. Also, check with some tire shops, tire manufacturers - some allow you to "test" drive their tires for a short time. As long as the tires are not damaged or excessively worn, if you don't like them, they will buy them back from you. Tire reviews and surveys only go so far, something you just have to try them for yourself to see if they are as good as they say.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)