Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Shakes At Idle?

Guest Corollasroyce

Hey All: I am new to the board, i purchased a 2005 Corolla CE, Package C about 3 months ago, and i notice that once the car has reached normal operating temperatures it will shake at idle, its nothing major, just a minor little shake like its going stall then it picks back up, its only about 100 rpms differnce between the stalling point and the pickup point. I took the car in to have a alarm installed and the loaner car i got was a 2003 Corolla CE base. It was an automatic and mine is a 5 speed, and both the cars did this. I am wondering if its normal, cause its kinda annoying but both the cars ive driven have both done it...thanks guys appreciate your help.

mine does that as well, it has been getting better...nearly 4000 miles on it and I hardly notice anymore...but from brand new to 2000 miles i noticed it a lot.

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh as i am looking through this site i have noticed quite a few posts about it, thanks for your responce though, my mileage is sitting at 4,000 kms' which is about 2500 miles, so hopefuly it goes away, and like you ive noticed it right from the day i picked it up at 6km's . wierd how i didn't notice it on the test drive, but like you said that car had about 10,000 miles on it so maybe it does just fade away...thanks for your input though default_smile

If the defrost or AC are turned on the AC compressor will drop the RPMs of the motor during idle and the ECM will kick it back up to compensate... that could be causing thing the odd idle... thats what my 01 does...

Guest Corollasroyce

No its not that...it does it all the time, under all circumstances, its just a rough idle we've come to conclude...mine still does it....4500 miles or 7400 kms

The engine mounts have a resonance at a particular speed. under the right circumstances of air temperature and engine load from headlights or air conditioning, the idle would hit the resonsnce and cause the engine mounts ot transmit a strong vibration.

If it does it all the time, perhaps your dealer can adjust the idle speed. As little as 50-100 RPM will brign it above that resonance frequency.

Hey C - R, what idle speed are we talking about here? Perhaps the initial speed has been changed or drifted since purchase. As the others have said, any variation in idle speed will cause strange stuff.... have the mechanic set the idle up to specs for your model. Should be reasonable to do so... Good luck, Jim.

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh im not the only one that experiences this, this is an old post.....were talking it drops to about 400 rpm...as you can imagine the engine idles VERY rough at this point and i have driven several 04-05 corollas and they ALL do it...

Ti-Jean

If the defrost or AC are turned on the AC compressor will drop the RPMs of the motor during idle and the ECM will kick it back up to compensate... that could be causing thing the odd idle... thats what my 01 does...

My 05 is set up differently than your 01. When the AC compressor kicks in, idle speed goes up to 1200 rpm. Probably to avoid that vibrating under load idle.

My 99 Accord was vibrating slightly at idle when the AC compressor was on.

Royce,

Do you have a lot of power accessories on when you notice this vibration?

Things like fan speed at max, all the lights and rear defrost take up of a lot of what your poor battery and alternator can produce. Especially in very cold temps and short trips.

If not, I would have it checked at the dealer

For one, I have never seen my idle go so low, but I never use my rear defrost and always wait til I start rolling to turn on the lights and fan speed.

Funny, because both our cars may have been built on the same day or week...

Guest Corollasroyce

Naw Jean, almost nothing on, if anything just the defrost at low.....

its not just sence it started to get cold, this is an old post, carbon revived for us...heh....anyway, its not just my car, garretsoclin has the same problem as do a few others who i can't recall right now, and i got a 04 to test drive while they installed my alarm, it was automatic and it did the exact same thing....thats wierd that your car hasnt' done it, youve never noticed a low idle vibration? as soon as i move the sterring wheel or something it goes back up, if i touch the brakes, but once the car is fully warm and i pull up to light or stop sign it idles hard like its going to stall, its been brought up a few times in this forum but noone knows why, we came to conclusion its just the way the car is....like the stupid 4th and 5th gear...the ratios are so damn close on the highway you have to sift to 3rd to get any power...just another annoying thing about the car.... default_tongue

Ti-Jean

Naw Jean, almost nothing on, if anything just the defrost at low.....its not just sence it started to get cold, this is an old post, carbon revived for us...heh....anyway, its not just my car, garretsoclin has the same problem as do a few others who i can't recall right now, and i got a 04 to test drive while they installed my alarm, it was automatic and it did the exact same thing....thats wierd that your car hasnt' done it, youve never noticed a low idle vibration? as soon as i move the sterring wheel or something it goes back up, if i touch the brakes, but once the car is fully warm and i pull up to light or stop sign it idles hard like its going to stall, its been brought up a few times in this forum but noone knows why, we came to conclusion its just the way the car is....like the stupid 4th and 5th gear...the ratios are so damn close on the highway you have to sift to 3rd to get any power...just another annoying thing about the car.... default_tongue

It drops for how long? For example when you stop at a light?

You're right for the bad gearing between 4th and 5th.

Here are the gear ratios for the 5 sp Corolla/Matrix with the 1ZZ-FE;

1- 3.166

2- 1.904

3- 1.310

4- 0.885

5- 0.725

Diff. 3.941

Look how close 4th and 5th are. Only 500 rpm between the 2.

It's ok for city or the "plains", but not so for hills or pAssing.

I would have put 4th around 0.93.

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh i agree.....4th is wayyy to close for pAssing on hills, you have to goto third....stupid why their so close together....=p

the rpms drop untill i give further input, ie turn the sterring wheel, or press on brake pedal....otherwise if i am just sitting there in neutral with clutch pressed...it will drop to 400 rpms till i start moving again....if i stop at a light it will do it the whole time.....so i figured it was something to do with it being 5 speed, but when i got my loaner car it was 04 CE automatic and it did the exact same thing....

Wierd, my 2003 CE 5spd idles at 750RPM when warmed up. Doesn't go up or down.No bad vibrations nor does it feel like stalling. Nothing. No defrost, in neutral. Turn the steering wheel and it raises slightly. A/C on and it goes up for 1,100 for a sec, then down to 750RPM again for some seconds, then a rise to 1,100.

The gearing blows to much of a gap between 3-4 and the 4-5 is too close, I am usually used to 4th being 1:1 or pretty close. Ah well. The 1ZZ-FE Celica GT ratios are pretty decent.

Ti-Jean

the rpms drop untill i give further input, ie turn the sterring wheel, or press on brake pedal....otherwise if i am just sitting there in neutral with clutch pressed...it will drop to 400 rpms till i start moving again....if i stop at a light it will do it the whole time.....so i figured it was something to do with it being 5 speed, but when i got my loaner car it was 04 CE automatic and it did the exact same thing....

Definitely never seen idle speed drop so low on mine.

Max

Lethal7, my car acts exactly as yours does. It's quiet, doesn't idle strangely, and does not vibrate or threaten to stall.

Guest Corollasroyce

I think its only the 04's-05's that have this problem, next time i am at the dealership i will bring it up...

i'll defenetly have it looked at before i sell it...

same thing I saw, especially on stop and go highway (toll booths, exit ramps, stoplights) something about coming to a stop from a highway drive created extremely low idles and rough idles at that.

Corollasroyce : Selling the car already?

Guest Corollasroyce

Corollasroyce : Selling the car already?

prolly not for another year....but im sick of driving 5 speed in gridlocked stop and go traffic, its just not fun anymore....won't for selling for at least a year, but come next april, its prolly going to be sold...

I know all about that. It takes me 30 mins to travel 8 kms to work everyday. It sucks. But for me it's a neccessary evil in order to enjoy the 5 spd any other time when the traffic is sparse or on roadtrips.

Guest Corollasroyce

yeh i must just be getting old and lazy, no intrest in driving 5 speed anymore....however i don't know snip about automatics which is kinda scary cause i hate not knowing if a mechanic is trying to screw me or not..... default_tongue

edit: yah it takes me about 45 mins to get 25 kms....i could walk almost as fast...sigh.....

edit edit: hey garret does your car still do it?? mine does with 7500 kms, or just about 5000 miles...

Hey guys, an entry a bit old but my car a 2006 corolla is going through the same situation over at 500 rpm and an unbearable vibration when braking, and when entering and exiting the compressor,

cleaned throttle body

Intake manifold gasket change

change maf sensor

Revision vacuum hose

pcv change and nothing as usual and noticed that when suddenly accelerated to fall so low rpm feels a little push any of you might solve the program is a bit uncomfortable at slow rpm drop that exaggerated

some solution

Sorry for my english guys

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)