Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Struts For 2004 Corolla

By elopomorph, December 1, 2010

I need to get new struts for my 2004 corolla sport. I am not familiar with struts but the mechanic informed me that that the gas is coming out of my front passenger side strut.

I am hoping to get some advice on recommended struts (i.e. brand, strut model) for my car and also recommended place to get them installed.

Also, are oil filled struts better than gas filled struts? Are oil based struts available for my corolla? Are there a type and brand of strut recommended for my corolla?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Gas can leak from the seal of the strut, usually signified by oil weeping out by the strut - you can verify by seeing if the strut look "wet". Most struts are filled with both oil and gas, oil is in there to provide the shock damping, gas is in there to prevent the oil from aerating/foaming during use . Usually they are differentiated by either a twin-tube (low pressure) or monotube design (high pressure). Generally, OEM applications in this class of car are the twin-tube variants. The original Toyota struts are made by KYB, KYB GR-2 struts are considered excellent replacement struts to keep the original ride and provide just a touch better damping. Of course if you plan on installed performance springs, you'll need to match the springs characteristics to the struts damping and rebound. For OEM springs, I'd personally stick with KYB struts.

Thanks for the insight. I will take a look at my struts and see if they look wet.

Do you know where I can purchase KYB GR-2 struts? Should I just go to a toyota dealer? Do I need to specify a size?

I am thinking about buying the struts then going to a mechanic and paying to have them installed. The quote I got for installing struts from tires plus was $500 (struts and labor). I am assuming I can get a better quality strut and, hopefully, save some money buy purchasing the struts and labor separtly.

Struts are specific to the generation of Corolla - in this case, any 2003-2008 Corolla strut fitment would work for you.

KYB GR-2 can be purchased from local autoparts stores like Autozone, Advance, Checkers, O'Reilly, etc. or from online retailers, like Tirerack, Shockwarehouse, Rockauto, etc.

Prices generally runs from $70-$90 per strut, so it pays to shop around. Installation can be expensive, your quote is about average for this sort of job - I've been quote from $350 labor (independent shop) to well over $1200 (dealership - plus alignment + new strut mounts, etc.), it is within the reach of a DIYer and you can rent the tools to do it, but it can be quite involving, labor-wise.

Buying the struts separate from the labor can save you money in the long run, as most shops will bill you retail price for the struts.

Elopomorph kinda wondering how many miles did your original struts make it? There is no difference in CE vs S struts right? My rolla is at 111kmi and not getting much rebound anymore. did you replace the springs too? I have a shop that would probably do the work for 250 or less (on the side).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)