Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1990 Corolla Stalling After Running Fast

By jashcom, December 1, 2010 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

HI everybody! I am from the Philippines. I recently bought a 1990 Corolla. I drove it two nights ago in the highway, just running a mere 100kph. When I slowed down since I am exiting the highway, the engine stalled. I kept on starting the engine but to no avail. I called my wife and told her to bring our van so we could tow the Corolla. The next morning, I tried starting the Corolla and it did start with no problem at all. COULD THIS BE DUE TO THE CARBURETOR GOT FLOODED WITH GAS WHILE I WAS DRIVING FAST? OR COULD IT BE DUE TO A DEFECTIVE COIL?

The battery is just 6 months old. Also, the car is just done with the spark plug change as well as the oil change.

I hope you could help me in solving this problem. Thanks!

Hard to say for sure as there could be a number of things that would cause the car to stall or die after slowing from high speed.

Two possibilities you already mentioned,

- carburetor needing adjustment (assuming this is the case with the 1990 Corolla in the Philippines, as the US bound 1990 Corollas were all EFI)

- overheated/damaged coilpack / igniter causing loss of spark

Could also be a clogged EGR valve, very common on this generation to get excessive amount of carbon built up inside the tube, causing the valve to get stuck, causing the car to stall. Could also be a bad vacuum hose(s) or bad vacuum modulator on the EGR system. If those do not hold a vacuum, would cause the valve to not actuate correctly.

Need a bit more information - which engine is in the car, the 4A-F? other?

Hard to say for sure as there could be a number of things that would cause the car to stall or die after slowing from high speed.

Two possibilities you already mentioned,

- carburetor needing adjustment (assuming this is the case with the 1990 Corolla in the Philippines, as the US bound 1990 Corollas were all EFI)

- overheated/damaged coilpack / igniter causing loss of spark

Could also be a clogged EGR valve, very common on this generation to get excessive amount of carbon built up inside the tube, causing the valve to get stuck, causing the car to stall. Could also be a bad vacuum hose(s) or bad vacuum modulator on the EGR system. If those do not hold a vacuum, would cause the valve to not actuate correctly.

Need a bit more information - which engine is in the car, the 4A-F? other?

Thanks for the reply fishexpo101! I am not really familiar with the code of the engine, but this is the 12-valve engine.

The possibilities you have mentioned were very much detailed. I appreciated that very much. Now, I can start on looking for the cause of the problem......

fishexpo101

The problem had been solved! It was the coil indeed! When the car was running fast, the coil heats up and when it cools down, it has not enough electricity to start the engine. With a new coil, it works smoothly! Thanks for the assistance!

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm