Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By 5th Beatle November 22, 2010

Hi all,

I just treated my 2005 CE headlights with 3M's restoration kit(works well). When I removed the two layers of masking tape around headlights I got some "sticky" residue around the edges plus some in the center, mostly where it started. What have others used to remove that residue without damaging metal quarter panels and the plastic bumper? Thanks for the advice.

Dan_H

It depends on the tape and residue, but I usually have good results from lightly pressing fresh tape of the same type over it and peeling it off immediately. The residue usually prefers to stick to the same material more than it does paint, metal, etc.

It depends on the tape and residue, but I usually have good results from lightly pressing fresh tape of the same type over it and peeling it off immediately. The residue usually prefers to stick to the same material more than it does paint, metal, etc.

Thanks, Dan. Will give it a try. Any other Corolla owners have different experiences?

Tape trick works well - if that doesn't get all the residue off, you can try something like GooGone or similar. Has oils in it that combined with mechanical rubbing of the surface, frees the adhesive from the paint. In either case, be a good idea to clean, wax or reseal that area.

off the shelf bug and tar remover also works. honestly, so does ignoring it. the adhesive will dry up and fall off on its own in a few weeks or less if it sits in the sun alot.

Topic List