Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rust Preventer Idea

by ElvisPresley, October 23, 2010

i have some areas that are starting to rust--such as the door seams. to fix it "right" would take more time than i have now--especially since i previously sprayed a wax rust preventer whch would have to be removed (before sanding converting, painting, etc.).

I had an idea to put some anti-seize grease there as a quick fix to keep the rust from getting worse. This grease has zinc in it. I also have some "aluminumized" marine grease--but its very old--as in decades.

What do you think?

Anti-seize or any grease you have on hand will help. I used Cosmoline in the past (same stuff they use on metal equipment being shipped by a cargo ship). Works great - smells terrible though.

Though the grease method can get messy, depending on where it is located on the door seam. To fix it in a similar method, try POR-15 products. Can be sprayed one or brushed on, they chemically convert rust and prevent it from spreading further. Since it is a "paint" - you can paint over it to hide the rust, or leave it as is.

Fish--

Wil the zinc in the anti-seze help? i think it would does act as a sacrificial material, just las it would in zinc paint.

The issue i have with por-15 is that to do it right, i'd have to get the surface clean.

Thanks

Ben

The zinc anti-seize stuff probably won't have enough electrical conductivity through that compound to work in the manner you want it to. Just be a few chunks of zinc that "could" be making decent contact with the metal you want to protect. It will protect metal, but by displacing moisture around the area, not by what the anti-seize stuff is made from.

Even if it looks sufficiently mixed and conductive, sacrificial metals consumed by galvanic corrosion need a strong bond to the base metal. I think this got started because "painting" a rusted part looks like it was hot-dip galvanized, but the hot-dip stuff is actually zinc alloying with the base metal - a very strong electrical contact. Unfortunately, even with heavy hot-dip coatings, they don't stop rust or even slow it down appreciably.

The POR-15 stuff, you just have to clean the area from grease and oils - it actually likes some rust present in order to chemically change the rust on the base metal.

Topic List