Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Anyone Agree That The Corolla Is Boring?

See every reply in these pages:

Guest model1822

Reading through many reviews of the current generation Corolla you often find comments of unremarkable or boring performance.

Of course, the staples of great reliability, economy, and value always surface.

Do you find your Corolla to be boring?

If so, is its unremarkable performance enough to make you consider another car?

Guest Toyota-san

Not really. I wasn't looking for excitement with this 'rolla. I wanted a sturdy, well designed, easy to drive vehicle. If you think back to the 60's and 70's when Chrysler produced the Dart/Valiant twins, they too had as much excitement as dryer lint. Yet they were, for the time, reasonable reliable, easy to fix, and thrifty. And Chrysler sold quite a few of them! default_biggrin

I don't understand why people would call it boring...

I've driven a Neon, a Civic, a Focus, a M3, Cadillacs, Dakotas, F150's, Stratus, Intrepid, Oldsmobiles, a Grand Caravan...(not owned, just driven at one time or another).

I don't get this 'boring' stuff. Sure, more power can make your heart beat faster, but there is nothing wrong with the Corolla...

One problem is 'critics', or 'experts' who write reviews for large 'well-respected' organizations. These people are writing what they think people expect to read in order to be popular and maintain their readership. Therefore, edmunds.com says the corolla is boring.

People who actually drive them...eh, not so much. I know I love my 05 Rolla..130 HP is plenty for me, and a lot more fun in a little car than 175 was in my 95 Dakota...

(base)

Corolla : 130HP

Neon : 132HP

Focus : 136HP

M3 : 148HP (for the MPG, pretty impressive)

Civic : 115/117/127HP

Only the M3 stands out.

:shrug:

Life Rule #1: Don't believe what someone tells you (regardless of print, web or TV) because everyone has an agenda. Its your job to determine where the other person is coming from so you can get to the bottom of their story.

I think my Rolla is a pleasure to drive. You want boring, drive a Buick...

Guest model1822

Well before I purchased the 05 LE I was driving a 03 Dodge Ram pickup.

Even though I'm disappointed with the economy of the Corolla (I've been experiencing 22-23 mpg city) it's twice the mpg I experienced with the truck. And, being a Dodge product I was concerned that the day it went out of warranty the 5 speed automatic tranny would go out.

But, I have to admit driving the Dodge was "fun" every day. The Corolla isn't as fun.

Guest djwolford

I actually find mine to be quite fun.

Well before I purchased the 05 LE I was driving a 03 Dodge Ram pickup.

Even though I'm disappointed with the economy of the Corolla (I've been experiencing 22-23 mpg city) it's twice the mpg I experienced with the truck.  And, being a Dodge product I was concerned that the day it went out of warranty the 5 speed automatic tranny would go out.

But, I have to admit driving the Dodge was "fun" every day.  The Corolla isn't as fun.

I will also join the chorus. If you are going to complain about the Corolla being boring, then you might as well complain about a Labrador Retriever being loyal. The problem with people who write automotive reviews is that they tend to engage in useless hyperbole. They will wax poetic about the performance of a half-million dollar Lamborghini, or even a $70,000 Corvette, then, in the same breath, call a $16,500 Corolla "boring." Well, sorry, but it doesn't work that way. One simply MUST engage in some sort of cognitive clarity when reviewing any automobile, including a full recognition of it's primary function. A Corolla's primary function isn't the same as the Corvette or the Lamborghini. The Corolla is there to get you to work, get the groceries, and get you to church -- and do so reliably and efficiently. The sports machines are there to give their owners a perception of personal adequacy, get tickets, and, with the usual application of hubris, get them killed. You see? Not the same function at all.

If there were any roads in the U.S. where automobiles like Corvettes and Lamborghinis could be safely driven to even half of their performance potential, then they may serve some useful function as an entertainment device. But since that is generally not the case, they basically serve no function other than to raise the overall danger levels on public highways. This also applies to oversized SUV's.

On the other hand, a Corolla is a totally practical, logical, and beautifully perfected everyday transportation device which does what it is supposed to do, with outstanding efficiency and reliability, and no more. Anyone who finds a Corolla "boring" obviously speaks the truth -- but if he is truly complaining about said boredom, then he has just invalidated himself as an automotive reviewer.

So, then -- why do YOU compare a Corolla to a Dodge Ram pickup? What are the similarities between these vehicles? And how does the issue of "boredom" get raised when you've just related experience with two vehicles with literally equal natures with respect to "boredom?"

BTW, I get more than my share of excitement when driving my Corolla, but it comes in the form of defending myself against all the other drivers out there who are attempting to alleviate their "boredom" by engaging in vehicular terrorism.

BTW2: I rather suspect the reason why your city mileage is so low in your Corolla is because you're driving it like one of the people I've just described above. My '03 Corolla LE automatic consistently gets 29 - 31 MPG in severe stop-and-go city driving -- about the only kind I do. I get 42 - 44 MPG highway. And believe me, I drive in a totally "boring" manner! I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else through my choice of automobile or the way I drive it.

Guest Toyota-san

"Fun" "boring" are subjective terms at best. To put it another way, one man's trash is another person's treasure.

I never did understand "fun" when it came to a driving experience. Actually, no matter what ride I have, I find driving to be fraught with tension, idiotic motorists, poorly designed parking lots, needless stop signs and lights.

Perhaps "fun" conjures up bygone days of the Schwin stingray or the Big Wheel. Or perhaps visions of the Flexible Flyer sled racing down a snow covered hill. At any rate, to rate any motor vehicle as "fun" or "unfun" (my word) is vague and judgemental.

For instance, last time CR tested beer, it rated Strohs lager as the best tasting beer. Now I am no connesuier of frosty libations, but I know what I like. And I find Strohs to be mildly revolting. And that's after server libations to numb the taste buds. But is it a "fun" beer? Or should I quaff Corona Extra Light on a sandy beach somplace for fun? See what I mean? Its all in one's perception.

Driving for me is a chore. No more no less. I doubt it will ever be fun. SO the definition of whether or not the corolla is "boring" does not apply. Try taking any vehicle on snow covered roads and watching out for other morons will wipe away the "boring" factor in a hurry.

Guest model1822

I actually find mine to be quite fun.

Perhaps that's cuz you own a XRS 6 speed default_biggrin

i like boring, especially if it means that

I don't drop $ k s in repairs every year

like some other cars I've had.

Boring? No way! I've only had this 1999 Corolla LE with 4-speed auto about three months and 1100 miles and it's the most fun car I've owned... my other car is a Lincoln Continental with everything from leather heated seats to climate control and I leave it parked while I have fun with the lighter, quicker, better gas mileage fun car.... it's great.... starts really fast, everything works and it's dependable to the nth.... love it... Jim

Max

I agree driving is a nightmare. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed being behind the wheel. Still, I like my Corolla just fine, and it does not bore me a bit. I've added a few "fun" tocuhes to it, like a titanium shift knob, just for a laugh.

It is rare to have a car that is both reliable and fun to drive. Other Japanese cars like mazdas, hondas etc. can be a better drive, but they usually have a couple more problems. My brother's mazda 323 is a better drive (re. steering, brakes), but this week at 25,000km it needs a new starter motor. The worst thing happened to the corolla is some trim broke and needed replacing, no biggie.

But that said, for what is viewed by the authorities as acceptable driving behaviour, the corolla can't be beat. Yesterday I drove from newcastle back to my parents place loaded to the hilt up to the window line (was moving out of my place), and it transported me at the legal limit (100 km/h) with plenty left in store for the 4 times i had to overtake a truck. all this with 1.8l auto, air-con on full blast. as for handling, I have to be going very quick before the rubber starts squealling..........

I agree, even in OZ driving consists of hazard perception, slow trucks, traffic jams, speedbumps, and mini-mall carparks. Every time i go out for a pleasure drive i always come across some old geezer doing 20 under the limit.........and the pleasure vanishes.

Probably depends on what you compare it to. By itself - the Corolla is just economical transportation that can be used for "spirited" driving when equipped properly and at the right place.

Compare it to a Porsche or Corvette - going to look "boring". Compared to others in its class - probably a toss up. The Corolla - in factory trim - was never intended to be a "fun" car. Even the XRS - though it is a start in the right direction.

Guest Toyota-san

My idea of a fun car is one that spends more time on the road than in the dealer repair bay default_biggrin

Guest cobrajet25

If the Corolla is boring it's because it is first and foremost DESIGNED as an economical and reliable "basic transportation" car. Want exciting? Buy a Celica GTS or MR2...that's why Toyota makes them. Still, I think if you look at static performance numbers (acceleration, handling, etc.) you will see that the modern Corolla does as well or better than alot of "sports cars" or even some "muscle cars" from yesteryear. And unlike an MG or a Jag, a Corolla keeps more oil IN it's crankcase than leaks OUT of it! Regards, Aaron

Having owned a 64 Vette and an ex California highway Patrol interceptor, I find the 03 CE 5 speed nice to drive.

A Ferrari it's not, but those who want Ferraris shouldn't be shopping at fred Anderson Toyota.

Guest Quinn_Frost

Guest Quinn_Frost

I Disagree, The Corolla Is Far From Boring, I've Owned My Share Of Cars, From A Monster 83 Pontiac Parrisenne With A 5.5L V8, To A 1989 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage) With A 1.2L Inline 3, And Out Of All The Cars This And My Cavilier z24 Were/Are The Most Fun To Drive, I Find When I Need To pass A Truck Doing 20km Under The Limit, I Don't Need A To Back Up A KM For A "Running Start" Like I Did With The Colt, And It's Got Enough Beef That All My Civic Driving Friends Are Jelous I Can Beat Them At A 1/25 Mile Dash ) Overall, I Plan On Keeping This Thing Till The Day The Axels Rust Off default_tongue

Features of my Rolla that are not boring.

1) Average 30 mpg in city driving; much higher on the freeway. If great gas mileage doesn't seem exciting, what planet do you call home? It's exciting being a smallerpart of the problem.

2) All the money I'm not spending on basic transportation, with a monthly car payment of $255. Unless you find money boring -- you don't do you?

3) Plenty of power, but only when I want it. Sips like a hummingbird if I stay off the gas pedal; takes off like a rocket if I don't.

4) Looks smart. I didn't say sporty, I didn't say luxurious, I didn't say keeping-up-with-the-Joneses, impress the neighbors, overpriced. I said smart. The Corolla looks smart. Smarter than an SUV for mileage, smarter than a Prius for initial cost.

5) Reliability. Nothing is more tedious than breaking down or being at the mercy of mechanics.

6) Fine sound system that plays any exciting music I want. Any more gadgets would be a distraction leading to a kind of excitement I don't need.

7) Excellent cornering, handling and maneuvering, especially into tight parking spaces. That can be very exciting.

8) Being the perfect car for me. It's exciting to shop around and find a car that fits me like a glove for all the reasons cited above. And speaking of fitting, the trunk fits just about anything I need.

Driving our congested California roads has become tedious when its not dangerous. But I manage to eke out the maximum enjoyment available in my Corolla. I can't imagine how frustratiing it would be to own an "exciting" car with no place to drive it.

Maybe when you write car reviews, you're looking for expensive thrills with the manufacturer picking up the tab. Are you really going to buy one with your own money? Or maybe its a semantic argument. If "impractical" means the opposite of boring, then the Corolla is definitely boring.

default_wink

Guest TacoVato

I have to agree about the interior. That was the deciding factor for me. The SRT/4 and the STi are pretty fast, but they both have cheap looking/feeling interiors (especially the Neon). The Lancer and the Focus don't impress all that much either. I find the Corolla (especially the XRS) to be a nice balance between zip and quality feel, inside and out.

Guest fiddler

I agree that boring is OK. My main emphases are interior space and fuel economy, and the current Corolla has both--I get 35 mpg in mixed driving, and the back seat room and comfort are phenomenal. (The 130 HP is also impressive, not that I was looking for that--I wish car manufacturers would take more of the gains they have made from electronic fuel injection and put them into fuel economy.)

Lately, however, (since aquiring my 2005 Corolla) I have come to appreciate (excuse me if I blaspheme), my wife's 1990 Honda Civic. This is not a powerful car--it has a 1.5 liter engine. But the dead (at best) steering on my Corolla highlights the Civic's almost magical steering qualities. The car seems to caress undulations in the road, an indescribable sensation you sense through the steering wheel.

The car doesn't have power steering, and maybe that is a good thing. It responds to infinitessimal steering inputs (it's almost like it reads your mind), yet it is sublimely stable on the freeway. It inspires great confidence, even pAssing on the freeway at 80 mph (a speed at which the Corolla can barely hold its lane).

On top of this, the car gets 40 mpg in mixed driving.

So I am starting to question my philosophy. Boring is OK, but is it too much to ask for a little finesse?

Really enjoyed the manual steering on my Saturn SL models (base).

Unfortunately, the GM engineers reduced steering effort by increasing steering wheel turns lock-to-lock along with increasing the turning radius. Parking was plain disgusting, but the feel of the road partly compensated.

Had the manual steering been done correctly, it would have been great and only wish Toyota had the non-power available for my base 03 CE.

My idea of a fun car is one that spends more time on the road than in the dealer repair bay default_biggrin

I second that. If excitement versus boredom were deciding factors in buying a car the Corolla wouldn't even be on the radar. However, they are excellent commuters and overall pleasurable to own with regard to reliability and fuel economy.

I must also chime in about the Corolla's steering. My '03 Corolla LE automatic has the "touchiest" steering of any automobile I've ever owned. The car will change lanes with seemingly less than a molecule's width of movement of the steering wheel. At highway speeds, the car is a real chore to drive since it is reacting to every puff of wind and over-reacting to the corresponding steering inputs. Putting better tires on the car helped a lot, but only by making the car seem less likely to break loose from the pavement -- the jittery handling at highway speeds continues to be a problem. My last long trip from Dover, DE to Buffalo, NY was a very nerve-wracking experience in a continuous, wind-driven downpour with near zero visibility and the Kamikaze SUV's still going 10 MPH over the speed limit while I could barely handle driving 10 MPH below the speed limit. Admittedly, that was on the OEM Firestone FR690's. The trip back on my new Goodyear ****urance Triple Treds was better, but so were the weather conditions. I still say the Corolla's steering is way too "tight" -- and needs to have, at the very least, a different ratio at the center which allows a bit more steering wheel movement without tossing the car laterally.

I wonder if Toyota engineers take this kind of input -- and how do you communicate it to them? Anyone got any ideas?

Guest Campisi86

My corolla lacks HP, and the gearing of the auto transmission tends to take most of the oomph out of the acceleration. The thing handles great, but I wish I could out-accelerate minivans more than half the time. My brother has a saturn of the same year with a 1.9l 4-cylinder engine and a stick, and his car absolutely kills mine at any distance.

Guest Corollasroyce

I wouldn't say the car is boring, i have a 2005 Corolla CE package C and its not fun to drive , i mean ive owned plenty of other cars too, an RSX type S, a VW Jetta, a Mazda Protege, a subaru impreza, a pontiac sunfire, and i woudln't say this car is the most fun out of those by any means, but boring? well compaired to a corvette, yes, but as is stated in previous reply's thats like compairing my corolla to a garbage truck, of course the garbage truck wieghts about 9 tonnes and gets 7MPG but you cannot compair them. I think california corolla does a very nice job pointing out the postives of the car and is very accurate , i don't quite agree with the whole plenty of power thing but the corolla has the power it needs, and i drive 5 speed so that is nicer for acessible power. the automatic i had for 2 days while my alarm was being installed wasn;'t MUCH slower but id still take the 5 speed, 4 clyinder cars are slow as snot in auto and if your going to complain about that then buy a V8

Topic List