Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Tires Would You Recommend?

Guest travisiscool

Hey everyone my name is Travis, I'm new to this forum, and I just had some questions...I'm looking to replace the tires on my 1996 corolla sedan, and I was wondering if anyone else who has a corolla has any recommendations? I'm from Wisconsin, and winters get pretty bad here, so I'd be looking for a decent all-season tire. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, that'd be great.

Also, I was also wondering if anyone has had their rims bend on them? I had to replace my rims a few months ago because they were bend and causing my steering wheel to shake at any speed. Apparently, this problem is common to this model and the geo prism, according to the guy at the service place.

Lastly, how long can I go on a worn tie rod? When I had a used tire installed on the front passenger side, the service lady said it was worn and I should get it checked out or replaced the next time my car is serviced...but I haven't had anyone check it yet. Is it safe to be driving with the tie rod worn, and how soon should I replace it if need be?

Thanks so much in advance!

As for tires - there are quite a few choices available for a decent all-season tire. Quite a few reviews on this board, but for a more detail over a larger selection of tires, I'd recommend that you checkout an online retailer like www.tirerack.com. Check out their reviews, narrow it down to a couple of tires, and then ask this forum if anyone can give you direct feedback on those tires.

As for the tie-rod - how long you can go on a worn one is anyone's guess. Since they let you go the first time around, it probably wasn't really bad. But those have a habit of letting go when you least expect. Having a tie-rod go would be disaster waiting to happen - I'd look to get that fixed ASAP.

• 149 posts
Hey everyone my name is Travis, I'm new to this forum, and I just had some questions...I'm looking to replace the tires on my 1996 corolla sedan, and I was wondering if anyone else who has a corolla has any recommendations? I'm from Wisconsin, and winters get pretty bad here, so I'd be looking for a decent all-season tire. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, that'd be great.

Also, I was also wondering if anyone has had their rims bend on them? I had to replace my rims a few months ago because they were bend and causing my steering wheel to shake at any speed. Apparently, this problem is common to this model and the geo prism, according to the guy at the service place.

Lastly, how long can I go on a worn tie rod? When I had a used tire installed on the front passenger side, the service lady said it was worn and I should get it checked out or replaced the next time my car is serviced...but I haven't had anyone check it yet. Is it safe to be driving with the tie rod worn, and how soon should I replace it if need be?

Thanks so much in advance!

No, it is NOT safe to drive with worn tie-rod ends. You could kill someone if it lets go !!

Rims don't bend unless you hit something hard .....

I had a '98 Corolla and found that the original size tire worked best on it. Even going from a 65 to a 70 series tire upset the car. What tire size is recommended for your '96?

suspension, steering problems can be future catastrophic failures on the highway.

I don't think your insurance company will be too happy that you are driving a

vehicle that is not maintained and not safe.

It may not be that hard for a forensic mechanic to determine the cause of failure

after an accident.

Have it checked and repaired, it is not worth the risk.

ever_green

get winter tires and summer tires. dont use all season in winter, i live in canada and i learned my lesson when the car entered a spin after going over a patch of ice in a busy highway thank fully i controlled the car properlly and managed to avoid oncoming traffic. i got a set of 4 winter tires for 200$ off some dude who was selling his corolla. they have 90% tread and came with rims (goodyear nordics). also i use michelin harmony for summer due its high milage warranty and increased MPG.

i also recommend bfgoodrich winter slalom tires.

BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires. I've had them for over three years now and they're not close to being worn down which makes them the best tires I've had on this car, and that's despite one of them causing tire pull to boot. The previous sets of tires wore out faster and that was with no tire pull involved either.

Hello fellow Wisconsinite. default_biggrin I just got new tires on my 98 myself, and my mechanic suggested Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II. He said they're great for traction in snow and rain.

Michelin Hydroedge in the summer, Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter. Yes, they're both expensive tires, but that's one part of the car that I'll never skimp on.

Topic List