Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1990 Corolla 5Spd Tranny In A 1995 Dx

by pimp2k6, August 19, 2010 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I am trying to do a auto to manual swap in my 1995 corolla with 4afe engine. I found a tranny from a 1990 corolla with a 4afe engine as well. I am wondering if that 5spd tranny will bolt up to the 1995 4afe?

Thanks for your help.

They are from two different generations, but since they both use the 4AFE - chances of it working are pretty good. Both share the FWD layout, so the starter boss (starter bump) is on the same side. There is a remote possibility that one will have an extra starter boss, will not affect the overall bolt pattern, but should be addressed on the installation.

More of a concern are the flywheel and clutch - as they are both larger on the 7th gen Corolla compared to the 6th gen Corolla. Not directly interchangeable - but can be "made" to work. As such, I would not consider this a straight bolt on affair. Other than that - they should be pretty close. Same master clutch cylinder, slave cylinder, axle seals, I believe the axles are also the same - though you need to check on that, or it will be a non-starter.

They are from two different generations, but since they both use the 4AFE - chances of it working are pretty good. Both share the FWD layout, so the starter boss (starter bump) is on the same side. There is a remote possibility that one will have an extra starter boss, will not affect the overall bolt pattern, but should be addressed on the installation.

More of a concern are the flywheel and clutch - as they are both larger on the 7th gen Corolla compared to the 6th gen Corolla. Not directly interchangeable - but can be "made" to work. As such, I would not consider this a straight bolt on affair. Other than that - they should be pretty close. Same master clutch cylinder, slave cylinder, axle seals, I believe the axles are also the same - though you need to check on that, or it will be a non-starter.

Wow. Thank you so much for the response. That is very helpful. I assume then that I wouldnt be able to use a clutch and fly wheel from a 7th gen instead of what comes with the 6th gen. It is almost next to impossible to find a 7th gen 5spd in Toronto. default_sad

That would probably be safer. I know a similar issue comes up when people swap in 4AGE engines and transaxles into their 7th gen Corollas. The clutch and flywheel are different diameter there and different bolt patterns on the flywheel itself, just enough to cause an interference issues. Club4AGE is a good resource for older Corollas.

Yeah, 5-speeds are getting hard and harder to find. Lots of people are scouring the pick and pulls for them for auto to manual swaps. Some shops are doing the same, as it is a often sought after project and a profitable swap for their business.

That would probably be safer. I know a similar issue comes up when people swap in 4AGE engines and transaxles into their 7th gen Corollas. The clutch and flywheel are different diameter there and different bolt patterns on the flywheel itself, just enough to cause an interference issues. Club4AGE is a good resource for older Corollas.

Yeah, 5-speeds are getting hard and harder to find. Lots of people are scouring the pick and pulls for them for auto to manual swaps. Some shops are doing the same, as it is a often sought after project and a profitable swap for their business.

Well I guess I will keep looking until a 7th gen 5spd pops up. Thank you so much for your help.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm