Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 Corolla Rough Idle

By 1995Corolla, August 6, 2010 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

I purchased this car used from a private seller one and a half years go. It's ran fine, and has given me no problems except for the batter (typical for a car of its age) which I just replaced this week. The car only has 63000 Miles but sat outside so there is some rust around the wheelbase. This last week I noticed that the car sounds a lot deeper idling and when you shift from park into reverse or drive, the revs bounce a little when they get into gear. Should I worry, or expect this from a car of its age?

could be worn ignition parts, cap/rotor, plugs, and wires are due to be changed if they never have been as well as the timing belt and its pulleys and tensioner.

Wires are due to be changed? what wires are you talking about? And I'm sure I should probably change the timing belt, but that wouldn't cause the rough Idle I don't think, would it? The problem also occurs at low RPM's

It might be the muffler. I replaced mine recently at 70,000 miles, and that helped with the noise. Sometimes they deteriorate inside with no visible problem on the outside.

spark plug wires are the wires bitter's talking about

Hmmm the muffler? I guess that might be it... because there's some amount of rust on the underside of the car. It's been garaged for the last year, but sat outside for the 14 years before that. What would the spark plug wires have to do with the rough idle? The exhaust definitely sounds deeper... I was told by a friend maybe the EGR valve needs cleaned? it sounds better when the engine gets warmed up.

i would recommend to change the transmission fluid. The PCV value wouldn't really make the car idle higher if it was clogged it would make the car want to stall when you left off the gas.

Hmmm the muffler? I guess that might be it... because there's some amount of rust on the underside of the car. It's been garaged for the last year, but sat outside for the 14 years before that. What would the spark plug wires have to do with the rough idle? The exhaust definitely sounds deeper... I was told by a friend maybe the EGR valve needs cleaned? it sounds better when the engine gets warmed up.

That is a HUGE piece of information that would have been helpful here. There are a number of things that could likely go bad or component lifespans have been greatly shortened.

As for the plug wires and distributor cap and rotor - those are part of a good comprehensive tune-up for this generation of Corolla. If the plug wires are in anyway damaged, they will cause mis-fires that would result in poor idling. Given its mileage, age, and how long it sat outside - I would do a complete tuneup - basically start from a clean slate. Otherwise you'd be chasing your tail trying to diagnose some of these symptoms.

what would you recommend for a good tune up? I just took it to the mechanic yesterday to get the brakes checked out- they were making noise and the local tire shop was looking at brakes for free and he said they looked good. I replaced the back drums around 61k and I just hit 64k today. Almost had this thing for two years now. Anyways I had him take a look at the sound and he said that it sounded like a pinhole in the muffler. He also said to not worry about it unless it gets louder. (I'm thinking maybe Carbon Monoxide in the cabin, that's why). What would you get done for a complete tuneup? Things that won't cost that much money, on an older car like this i'm not really planning to spend too much money

Oh, and i looked on your cars and it said that you had a 2003 matrix xrs. Lol we had a 2005 XR and it got totaled in Feb of 08 and we bought an 08 matrix that looks exactly the same as the old one... Same paint, options, trim, everything. I have to buy a new car soon and I was looking at the 2003-2005 XRS but stumbled over hundreds of matrix/corolla owners with tranny failure. You didn't have any trouble with your tranny with 120k?

Tune up for this generation of Corolla is pretty straightforward. Other than fluid exchanges (coolant, motor oil, transaxle fluid - automatic, gear oil - manual, powersteering fluid, brake fluid (master clutch fluid - manual). Normal wear items - tires (tire rotations), brakes, rotors, drums, struts, suspension, axles, bushings, etc. - all as needed)

Cap and rotor, plug wires, sparkplugs, air filter, oil filter, v-belts, timing belt, belt tensioner, waterpump - all as needed. Some things you can do separately that can have a decent impact with little cost to you (other than time) - throttle body cleaning, clean out EGR ports, check for vacuum leaks, visually inspect for obvious signs of leaks, damage.

In your case, those exhaust donuts in the exhaust system can dry out and leak over time. Really common on the 8th gen Corollas (1998-2002). On the 7th gen - they had issues with cracked exhaust manifolds. Check for any discolored marks in the exhaust system - those indicate an exhaust leak. Sometimes you can't even see the crack/leak until you remove the part - as heat will move the system around a bit.

As for the Matrix XRS - yeah, that was one hell of a car. Almost guaranteed that would have outlasted my Corolla (currently 180K miles) - Matrix XRS ran flawlessly. Only issues we've had with the Matrix was a bad upstream O2 sensor (heater element shorted out). Ran the nuts off that car as well - never babied it. Got a good price on it, as it was a company car originally - poorly maintained, they used it to haul dogs around - still have the OEM oil filter?! Engine was slightly sludged over, dipstick had a discoloration band right where the oil level ran too. Immediately ran some synthetic diesel motor oil in it + some Rislone/MMO, couple of short drain intervals - UOA testing showed it to be good as new.

I too was surprised to see so many transaxle issues with the 6-speed. So much so, that I picked up a U240E automatic transaxle from a Celica GT-S to swap in. But I've towed with the Matrix, shifted a touch before redline, a few times even accidentally banging off the limiter. Taught the little lady how to drive stick in the car (not a good first timer's car for learning standard shift - but she got the hang of it). No grinding, no noise, etc. But I religiously changed the gear oil every 15K miles with Redline MT-90 exclusively.

Unfortunately, got totalled out this year (July) - freshly paid off to boot. Picked up a 2009 Matrix XRS to replace it - completely different beast. That 2ZZ-GE engine in the 2003 Matrix XRS was a marvel of engineering. Who knows - maybe I dodged the transaxle "ticking time bomb" that some people started calling the C-60 transaxle. But in my experience - the car and drivetrain were pretty much bulletproof.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm