Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Toyota Corolla 2005 Battery Light Turns On While Driving

By ela, July 27, 2010

HI everyone, maybe someone could advise on what is happening here : my battery light turns on when i am driving thru a car was and recently it has turned on and i was loosing steering power after i drove over a puddle of water . The light turns on for about 5 sec and goes off and everything is fine. Any ideas? Thanks

E.

friendly_jacek

Did you mean car wash?

Did you check the serpentine belt and tensioner?

Sounds like the serp belt got wet and slipped.

Thanks !

Definitely sounds like the serpentine belt. Ever notice the car making a squealing noise on startup on occasions? Many have reported much better performance (life span and noise) by replacing the OEM Bando belt with a Goodyear Gatorback replacement. The Goodyear one seems to be less likely to slip under damp conditions and less affected by dust compared to the OEM one.

The belt tensioners are a big problem too.

Just had my 08's tensioner changed on warranty. My 03 had a new tensioner changed on TSB.

The aftermarket belt is great as long as the tensioner hasn't become weak.

Thanks Everyone. I just had it fix...it was indeed serpt. belt ! FYI the cost was $80.00 total !

E.

Thanks Everyone. I just had it fix...it was indeed serpt. belt ! FYI the cost was $80.00 total !

E.

That's good,Firestone quoted me $150.00. If they said 80 bucks I would of gone for it, but since they wanted a home run I did it myself. 21 dollars for an AutoZone Gaterback belt and about 15 minutes of my time.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)