Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Question About 2008 Auto Trans Fluid

by BobLevine, June 24, 2010

Facts: 2008 Corolla CE - Automatic - 28.5 K miles - No towing - Very conservatively driven in city at low speeds.

Had car at dealer for brake pads/turn rotors (for slight vibration on braking) and new belt tensioner + serpentine belt (for noise).

Dealer said tranny fluid is "burned" and should be changed. This is way in contrast to factory schedule which doesn't ask for replacement until way down the road in mileage if at all.

Dipstick shows no burning.

Fluid is clear and sort of a oil type color - not red as I remember old fluids.

No burn smell on the stick.

Does this sound like the fluid has gone bad so early?

Dealer said no tranny damage when I asked what was wrong to "burn" the fluid. Tranny is on both 3/36 and 5/60 warranty.

I have had sticks for 10 years before this car and am not familiar with the newer fluids.

Tranny works perfectly.

Should I change the fluid? I would normally go shorter than Toyota's schedule and do it around 50K. Car runs about 10K per year.

Some dealer recommendations have been questionable so I don't know whether to believe them. Their work is great so I keep using them.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to squeeze you a bit. The Toyota Type T-IV ATF can take on a darker color very quickly, but burnt or heavily oxidized - you will easily detect that "burnt" odor in the fluid. Can do a quick test at home - after driving around normally (transmission up to operating temperature) - take a drop of ATF from the dipstick and drip some on white papertowels or white coffee filter. If you get something that looks like a bulleye pattern (distinct "rings" that form as the oil spreads through the paper), that could be heavily particulates floating around there, a fluid drain and refill is highly recommended at that point.

Since the car doesn't see as many miles as other cars - I'd do a conservative drain and refill schedule - maybe every 2 years/30K miles. Toyota Type T-IV AFT is a conventional ATF fluid, from what I've gathered over the net. Add to that low speed commuting, low mileage yearly - moisture and the friction material from the transaxle is darkening the ATF. Color is no longer the deciding factor in when to change the fluid - if it still has a hint of red to it, you are good to go. If it starts to look more like motor oil, then I'd start planning a drain and refill.

Thanks so much, Fish!

Your test showed rings on the white towel and a darkish color, so back to Leith Toyota I went today for a full refill service. I explained to the advisor that the word "burned" was inappropriate since it would normally indicate a dire problem, not the need for a routine maintenance service. He fully agreed.

Work done perfectly, and car delivered clean with a nice light reddish fluid color. I do like this dealership. I'll follow your schedule instead of Toyota's.

It's folks like you, Fish, that make Corolland such a wonderful resource.

Regards,

Bob

Now at 61K and dealer says tranny fluid is ready for another service. Front brakes also were at replacement time, same as at 30K. Made appointment at my dealer for Monday to get fluid done. Front brakes were done Friday, rears were still fine and rotors were not too thin.

Looks like Fish was spot on recommending a 30K interval for tranny fluid based on my driving pattern.

Thanks again, Fish.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)