Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Cruise Control Stick Broke

by GrittyKitty, June 5, 2010 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

2009 Corolla - automatic trans - broke cruise control "stick" (on right side of steering wheel). It flops around, but wiring is intact.

What is that part called? How bad is it to replace? This car is used to drive about 450 miles per day (courier). It has been a GREAT car - never had to do anything but oil changes, brakes & other maint items. Guess I go get a Chilton's today.

Thank you for any info.

Cruise control switch - should be able to get a brand new one for about $70-$100. Very likely to be able to get one from a different Toyota - as they don't really change the design that much - double check a cross-reference (dealership or parts store will be able to check this). That case, might be able to get one from an earlier Toyota for considerably less - some at Rockauto are going for around $30-$35. Before you start shelling out any money - see if the dealership will cover this under warranty. Worth asking.

Part itself is not bad to change, assuming that Toyota cruise control setups didn't undergo a quantum leap in technology change between generations. First disconnect the negative battery terminal as you'll be playing close to the airbag assembly later (note alarm systems will not like this, make sure you have the appropriate way to disarm/reset them later). You have to remove the steering wheel pad (airbag portion) - usually there are screws on the left and right sides of the steering wheel (likely need to use a torx or star bit to remove them). Pad just pops up, exposing the two screws holding the cruise control switch (likely to be torx screw heads) and the wiring harness for the switch. Remove replace, reattach the pad - and you are good to go. 30 minutes, tops, to do this kind of repair.

Thanks for the info. I got the part & am looking at the steering wheel. There is a pretty big silver torx headed screw (head pointed toward driver door) under the left "access panel" of the steering column. One just like it on the opposite side, head facing passenger door. Are those the screws for the steering wheel pad? They are so big, I am afraid they hold something bigger!

Will look around some more on the internet. I appreciate your help.

Cruise control switch - should be able to get a brand new one for about $70-$100. Very likely to be able to get one from a different Toyota - as they don't really change the design that much - double check a cross-reference (dealership or parts store will be able to check this). That case, might be able to get one from an earlier Toyota for considerably less - some at Rockauto are going for around $30-$35. Before you start shelling out any money - see if the dealership will cover this under warranty. Worth asking.

Part itself is not bad to change, assuming that Toyota cruise control setups didn't undergo a quantum leap in technology change between generations. First disconnect the negative battery terminal as you'll be playing close to the airbag assembly later (note alarm systems will not like this, make sure you have the appropriate way to disarm/reset them later). You have to remove the steering wheel pad (airbag portion) - usually there are screws on the left and right sides of the steering wheel (likely need to use a torx or star bit to remove them). Pad just pops up, exposing the two screws holding the cruise control switch (likely to be torx screw heads) and the wiring harness for the switch. Remove replace, reattach the pad - and you are good to go. 30 minutes, tops, to do this kind of repair.

It worked! The worst part was getting the side screws out - they were in & it was hard to get the torque on just a nutdriver. Finally got a rig with a ratchet - easy as pie!

Thanks for your help, fishexpo. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. I got the part & am looking at the steering wheel. There is a pretty big silver torx headed screw (head pointed toward driver door) under the left "access panel" of the steering column. One just like it on the opposite side, head facing passenger door. Are those the screws for the steering wheel pad? They are so big, I am afraid they hold something bigger!

Will look around some more on the internet. I appreciate your help.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)