Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Larry Roll November 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

I just purchased a set of Goodyear ****urance TripleTred tires today. Almost $600 worth after all the extra charges and taxes. But these tires are the real thing -- this is an entirely different automobile now! The OEM Firestone FR690's were like riding on greased rubber bands that wanted to keep deflating. The TripleTred's hold like glue, even in the light sleet that was falling on the way home from the Goodyear store. My first impressions are that these are nothing short of phenominal tires, and I will keep you posted!

• 200 posts

If only they came in 185/65/14 which is the OE size for my 2000 LE.

They sound great, Larry. Hey, be a buddy and let us know if you get worse/same/or better mileage than with the Integrity bicycle tires? I'm thinking about the TripleTreds, too, but it would be nice to know how much, if any, drop in mileage to expect default_huh

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh the OEM tires suck. i purchased a 2005 CE Package C 4 months ago, and it has started to get really cold here and i have noticed terrible traction in the tires in the snow and ice. I think its a preatty common thing for car companies to put crap tires on their vehicals, i had a 2002 Acura RSX type S and the OEM times were garbage, wierd how car companies would do that when tires make such a drastic change in the cars ride.

I've been reading up on TireRack because I'm getting tired of the OEM tires.

The Michelin Hydroedge has many rave reviews, despite some reports of noise, with LOTS of people reporting, "these are the best tires I've ever owned.".

My curiosity about change to MPG was answered for this tire by this "best tire I ever . . ." reviewer. "These tires run great on the Prius and only caused 1/2 mph speedometer error at 75. Plus, they have not affected the mileage on the Prius as has been reported for other tire replacements." Prius owners are pretty much totally into mileage. Right on!

Oh and they are pricey. But if I'm going to have only a few sets of tires for the life of my car, isn't it kind of silly to scrimp on this fairly critical "optional equipment?" It sounds like they really stick to the road.

Anybody else have Hydoedges?

Another reviewer of the Hydroedge appears to have a different take on the mileage issue: "With the Hydroedge tires I have lost a solid 2 mpg and around 40-50 miles from a tank of gas (and I am now drive my car a lot easier just to achieve these results). Since I am a gas milage freak, this was a very noticable and upsetting observation. Tires are running at 32 psi. (I checked.) Has anyone else noticed this problem."

Well, that's annoying.

This guy has a Pontiac Grand Prix and was coming off of Goodyear Eagles. Don't meet many gas mileage freaks in Grand Prixs . . . default_laugh

Some Corolla owners seem to go gaga over the Hydroedge, especially a couple comparing it to the MX. Depending on the car, wildly differing experiences reported in snow and also wildly differing reports of noise, which is baffling. default_huh

Guest Corollasroyce

hahah those prius guys crack me up, I LOST 2 MPG, thats hilarious....im gonna have to look into those tires though sound good and i gotta upgrade, OEM is not nice, heh.

Try Michelin Harmony. Really great!

Max

Hullo, Bob, you may have mentioned it elsewhere, but how is the mileage with the Harmonies? I'm trying to make up my mind about which tire to buy, and have it down to three: Michelin HydroEdge or Harmony, or Bridgestone Turanza LS-T.

Mr. Ed

I'm going to replace these Integrities within the next couple of weeks. I've checked on both the Harmony ($455) and Hydroedge ($512). I'm really leaning toward the Hydroedge. It's driving in snow that has me concerned, but, the ratings I've seen do put the Hydoedge a little better than the Harmony. That tread design sure doesn't look like it would pull well in the snow, but, I guess I'll see.

Mr. Ed

Well, I just called the tire shop. They're getting me 4 Hydroedge in for installation on Friday. I'll let you know my impressions.

They sound great, Larry. Hey, be a buddy and let us know if you get worse/same/or better mileage than with the Integrity bicycle tires? I'm thinking about the TripleTreds, too, but it would be nice to know how much, if any, drop in mileage to expect default_huh

CA Rolla:

I am pleased to report that there is no decrease in fuel mileage with the Goodyear ****urance TripleTreds -- in fact, there appears to be a slight (1 MPG) increase in both city and highway mileage! The jury on mileage is still out, since my first "city" mileage figures have an unusually high percentage of highway mileage factored in, but it's looking very good so far!

I'm going to replace these Integrities within the next couple of weeks. I've checked on both the Harmony ($455) and Hydroedge ($512). I'm really leaning toward the Hydroedge. It's driving in snow that has me concerned, but, the ratings I've seen do put the Hydoedge a little better than the Harmony. That tread design sure doesn't look like it would pull well in the snow, but, I guess I'll see.

Ed:

The day I got my Goodyear ****urance TripleTreds, I was also out to get Michelin HydroEdges. I examined both tires closely and the TripleTred has a much better tread pattern for dealing with rain, snow, ice, and dry roads. They have maximum ratings of 10 out of 10 for ALL of these conditions. I think they are going to work a lot better under Winter driving conditions than the HydroEdges. You may wish to reconsider before you put on the HydroEdges. If you go ahead with them, then we can do a head-to-head comparo.

Larry

I have the same ones...

Expensive, but you're right, its a new car. It handles better in rain than the old Integrity's did on a perfect day.

They aren't amazing in the snow and slush... but they ARE all seasons. Even with the best all seasons you can't really expect them to be like snow tires.

Mr. Ed

Larry,

They don't sell Goodyear brand at the tire shop I'm dealing with. I could have gone elsewhere, but, I think the Hydroedge will do fine. Actually, we put Hydroedge on my wife's LeSabre a few months ago. In terrible rain it sticks like glue. Even with some icey spots, it's traction control has yet to kick on.

Ed

Hydroedges are great too. Triple Tred vs Hydroedge is a lot like choosing Corolla vs Civic. You generally win either way.

Thanks for the good news, Larry! It turns out that makes sense.

I found a very good account of the influence of tire rolling resistance on gas milage on TireRack in their technical articles section. Tires do have an influence, but it accounts for something like 25%of the total resistance (wind resistance being the major agent of drag). Rolling resistance, as we know, is not widely advertised, but the article said to take a hypothetical "whopping" 20% increase in rolling resistance. That translates into only a few percent overall increase -- bottom line, tire model is not a huge factor to sweat for mpg (proper inflation of whatever tire you have is a bigger issue).

So I kept looking at tire reviews and even looked at special Michelins only available at CostCos and Sam's Clubs. I decided to go with the HydroEdge. I ordered them on line and they will be delivered to my local CostCo. Not cheap but several reviews said they're worth every penny. Great traction on dry and wet. Snow isn't really an issue here in So Cal -- if you drive in the mountains you use chains anyway (CHP requires them if you don't have full-on snow tires).

One of the things that sold me is the unbelievable tread rating of the Hydros -- they are hard as nails and warranteed to 85K miles. I figure if a tire lasts twice as long as another tire it's okay for it to cost twice as much. Another, kind of silly, consideration is that they look high tech. The noise issue seems to be a matter of some debate by reviewers, which is baffling. Since I'm going deaf anyway and have a fine radio and windows that close, I'm not too worried (but will report back whether my current nonchalance is justified).

Whatever replacement tire I went with, the consensus seems to be that anything other than Integrity's is like driving a different Corolla. The consumer ratings for those are consistently negative.

Strangely enough, a number of tires that come OEM on other car makes and models also are rated as bad. My previous reasoning that there must be a good reason (I theorized gas mileage) that the manufacturer put them on doesn't seem to hold much water. Car makers apparently don't have a problem putting genuinely crappy tires on cars at the factory. Given that the consumer (and one supposes car magazine writers) test drive the vehicles on these junky tires, it seems like an odd marketing strategy. But saving a few bucks per tire apparently adds enough to the bottom line to make it a viable financial move. I have to admit when I'm shopping for a car I don't really worry much about the tires.

But I also have to admit I am totally stoked about getting replacements! default_cool

Mr. Ed

I got my Hydroedge tires put on this morning. First impressions: they are quiet; in the heavy rain we've had today - they stick to the road like glue; the handling is even better than before. I'm impressed. Also, while at the garage, the mechanic told me about people who used Hydroedge tires last winter with no problem - and we had a lot of snow. A year ago, we had almost 9" of snow by this time. So far, we've had... 0"!!! Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my Hydroedge test...

Mr. Ed

Here's my updated tire report: We had snow & ice this morning. 70 is closed near Pittsburgh. 60 is closed because of accidents. On my way to work, I just drove the speed limit (65 mph part of the way). It wasn't until I got out of my car at work that I realized it was very slippery. I could barely make it into the building without falling. These Hydroedge were incredible! I'll have to be careful...I may get over confident with them.

Cost me $492.20 for four Hydroedges, installed with the disposal fes etc. paid, at Costco. Haven't driven much on them yet, but see a marked improvment over the Integritys.

Cost me $492.20 for four Hydroedges, installed with the disposal fes etc. paid, at Costco. Haven't driven much on them yet, but see a marked improvment over the Integritys.

Keep us posted. I have almost 1,000 miles on my Goodyear TripleTreds now, and they are outstanding! Every time I'm in my Corolla, I'm amazed at the huge difference in handling. I will say that the ride is not greatly improved, but is not any worse than on the Firestone FR690's. One thing that impresses me about the Goodyear TripleTreds over the FR690's is that they actually hold air! The FR690's would lose about 5 lbs of air per week! In fairness, that could have been caused by cheap valve stems given to me free by the Toyota dealer when I bought the lug nuts for my new OEM alloy wheels I purchased on eBay.

Five pounds a week sounds like the tires were not properly seated on the rims.

Unless there are large temperature drops, five pounds a month signifies a problem. Five a week is way, way out of line.

Mr. Ed

It's snowing like crazy here in Western PA. Looks like we'll have a great test of these Hydroedge tires on the way to work in the a.m. I'll let you know...

Five pounds a week sounds like the tires were not properly seated on the rims.

Unless there are large temperature drops, five pounds a month signifies a problem. Five a week is way, way out of line.

Hmmm. Those particular tires were changed over from the OEM steel wheels when I bought the OEM alloys on eBay. I did all the tire work myself, and I've never had a problem with proper bead seating, etc. I blame cheapo valve stems. I should have known better than to actually use "free" valve stems. They were replaced when my Goodyear TripleTreds were installed, and I've not had the same problem since.

I admit it is possible that the demounting/remounting stress could have done something to compromise the beads. However, I give that a low order of probability. I was working as carefully as possible, making sure there was minimum wear and tear on that bead, using a lot of lube, etc. I'm not a half-bad "tire man" if I must say so myself, so if something went wrong with my bead, I blame the poor quality OEM Firestone tires more than anything else.

Mr. Ed

Here's the update for today. It was 2 degrees when I headed for work early this morning. Lots of ice and I'd guess 3" of snow. It was bad enough that there was an 80 car pile-up north of us a few miles. These Hydroedge tires did fine. No spinning. Just gripped and went like normal. I can't see having any problem with them in winter weather.

Topic List