Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Cleaning

Guest raycastro

Any tips or experience on cleaning the engine bay?

Had my Corolla's engine bay cleaned for me, twice.

Both times I had performance problems afterward.

I'd say, watch what you spray. Cover the alternator and distributor with foil or plastic if you're going to hose it down. I've heard people recommend Simple Green as a degreaser.

I'm not sure what techniques were used to clean my engine compartment, but afterward it'd skip while idling and took a lot of prodding to get much acceleration. Acceleration was jerky. I have a 1.8 ltr 7A-FE.

I regularly spray out in engine compartment at the quarter wash. Never have a problem. But you might want to consider avoiding direct apray on the distributor and other wiring harness & connectors. Newer cars don't have distributors and the sensros are better sealed or less sensitive.

If you regularly jsut rinse off the engine every time you wash the car, you should need to do much else. Most of the dirt on the engine is just road dust and will wash off easily. Use a mild spray degreaser for any oil spills. FYI - The more aggressive degreasers sometime can dull or remove paint.... use those only on bare metal.

Topic List