Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Toyota Corolla Le Oem Steering Wheel And Airbag Upgrade

By quiksy, May 15, 2010

i was wondering if i can upgrade my steering wheel and airbag from my 2001 toyota corolla le with a:

toyota rav 4 all trims steering wheel and airbag 2001-2003

toyota celica all trims oem steering wheel and airbag 2000-2005

toyota mr-2 all trims oem steering wheel and airbag 2000-2005

toyota corolla s oem steering wheel and airbag 2001-2002

toyota corolla all trims oem steering wheel and airbad 2003-2008

if yes, i would like to know if anyone from the forum already have done this upgrade? any pics?

also, i would like to know if only need the new steering wheel and the driver's side airbag, if will fit on my oem 2001 toyota corolla oem airbag plug? or i need to buy another plug to connect the upgraded airbag.

thanks for your help guys

i want this upgrade because i do no like my oem steering wheel, i prefer 3 spoke oem toyota steering wheel, no matter if the color is black instead brown.

Not positive on the RAV4 - but the 7th gen Celica, MKIII MR2, 9th gen Corollas (and Matrix) and all trims of the 8th gen Corolla steering wheels/airbag assembly can be swapped. A pretty common swap is to pull either the 3-spoke wheel from a 2001-2002 Corolla S or 7th gen Celica over to replace the OEM 4-spoke steering wheel/airbag assembly (assuming charcoal or black interior).

The locking airbag plugs are the same - same with the attachment bolt. It has been verified that these same steering wheels are swappable with later MKIII and MKIV Supras - as many manufacturers use the same specs. The only issues will be with built in functions on the steering wheels - i.e., radio/CD changer control, shift buttons (MKIII MR2 and automatic transaxle 7th gen Celica), and wheels with integrated cruise (instead of on a separate control stalk).

Should be lots of pics online of similar swaps - if you want to get an idea of how they look, interior wise. Big issue will be color palette - as the most of the wheels you mentioned are black in color, aside from the 9th gen Corolla CE/LE trims and the RAV4 trims. Most of the LE trims, in my area were all tan in color - would look really "odd" with a black steering wheel.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)