Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Guest JTJTJT, May 3, 2010 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Guest JTJTJT

Every once in a while, my 1997 Corolla won't start on the first attempt. The dash comes on and the ignition clicks and then nothing happens. If I hold the key forward in the start postion, I can hear the sound of what sounds like air escaping from somewhere in the engine compartment. The car eventually starts after a number of attempts. The number of attempts I need to make to get the car started varies.

I've noticed that the car is less likely to start right after a drastic temperature change. I've had to have the right headlight replaced 3 times in the past year as it keeps burning out. The starter and the battery have also been replaced recently.

The mechanics at the 3 places I've taken the car to are unable to diagnose the ignition problem because the car has started up fine whenever they've had it.

if you slightly hold the gas pedal when starting, do you still have the problem? does it idle very low after it had a hard time starting?

Guest JTJTJT

if you slightly hold the gas pedal when starting, do you still have the problem? does it idle very low after it had a hard time starting?

Holding the gas pedal seems to have no effect when the engine is refusing to start. Once the engine starts, it seems to take longer to rev up to idle but idles normally once it gets there.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm