Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Corolla Shaking

By amuramoto, April 2, 2010 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Hi,

I have a 2009 Corolla (about a couple days away from the day I bought it last year) and I noticed that the car is shaking more when I have either stopped at an intersection or parked (idle) and I am wondering if something is wrong because it used to be smooth and you almost couldnt hear the engine running or even feel the engine running; The engine used to sound smooth but now it sounds like its working really hard to accellerate too. I have driven only 7,090 Miles as of today and had 2 oil changes one in October and the other one was in March of this year. Also I have been using different gas the past couple times I ve filled up, One day I will use shell and fill it up until its almost empty and then fill it up with Costco gas and empty it and go back to Shell, etc. I checked my tires and they are at 35-37 PSI (34 PSI is the recommended pressure) Please help me I would also like to know what I can do to make this car last for another 15-20 years. Im not sure but I heard that if you change the oil every 500 miles for the first 2,000 mile of driving, that it will help lengthen the life of the car, is this true.

Hi,

I have a 2009 Corolla (about a couple days away from the day I bought it last year) and I noticed that the car is shaking more when I have either stopped at an intersection or parked (idle) and I am wondering if something is wrong because it used to be smooth and you almost couldnt hear the engine running or even feel the engine running; The engine used to sound smooth but now it sounds like its working really hard to accellerate too. I have driven only 7,090 Miles as of today and had 2 oil changes one in October and the other one was in March of this year. Also I have been using different gas the past couple times I ve filled up, One day I will use shell and fill it up until its almost empty and then fill it up with Costco gas and empty it and go back to Shell, etc. I checked my tires and they are at 35-37 PSI (34 PSI is the recommended pressure) Please help me I would also like to know what I can do to make this car last for another 15-20 years. Im not sure but I heard that if you change the oil every 500 miles for the first 2,000 mile of driving, that it will help lengthen the life of the car, is this true.

Provided the shaking did not begin immediately after your second oil change -- meaning that nothing like a spark plug wire was damaged, or was pulled off a spark plug, or something like that -- I would call your dealer and ask the Service Department what fuel stabilizer they recommend. Tell them of the shaking, too. It could very well be that you have some bad gas in your tank. Maybe some good-quality fuel stabilizer will do the trick. Just make sure to use what Toyota recommends, to keep your warranty active!

friendly_jacek

Im not sure but I heard that if you change the oil every 500 miles for the first 2,000 mile of driving, that it will help lengthen the life of the car, is this true.

Absolutely untrue. While some people insist on changing oil after the breakin is complete (1000 miles), the car makers clearly say not to do that. There is some literature showing more wear with fresh oil, so too frequent changes can increase wear.

Now, regarding the "shaking", isn't the car covered by warranty?

Im not sure but I heard that if you change the oil every 500 miles for the first 2,000 mile of driving, that it will help lengthen the life of the car, is this true.

Absolutely untrue. While some people insist on changing oil after the breakin is complete (1000 miles), the car makers clearly say not to do that. There is some literature showing more wear with fresh oil, so too frequent changes can increase wear.

Now, regarding the "shaking", isn't the car covered by warranty?

Yes the car is covered by a warranty.

have you fixed the problem?

ive noticed this too on mine

the shaking when stopping i think its the ABS becoming more sensitive

the accelaration sounds like the engine is trying to change gears, although i havent seen any significant change in rpm though

shaking when stopping can be warped brakes.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)