Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Corolla Mount Alignment Problem

By ship_reck, March 30, 2010

ship_reck

i have a 1998 corolla with 209K on the ODO. recently been having rough idle and vibration issues, so i've replaced the 4 mounts (2 engine and 2 transmission), and am now having an issue with the side transmission mount (on driver's side, directly under the air filter housing ).

no matter how i jack-up and try to shift the engine position ( with all mount thru bolts loose), when i torque down the bolts and remove the jacks, the engine returns to a position in which the yoke bracket on the transmission is touching the metal portion of the transmission mount. the engine/transmission appear to be shifted back, such that the mount isn't centered with the transmission yoke bracket. this positioning/interference is causing a chattering noise and vibration (not as bad as before), as well as a clunk at start.

anybody have any advice on getting the proper engine alignment after replacing motor and transmission mounts? maybe something i'm not disconnecting or a technique i haven't tried? any advice is greatly appreciated.

You might try loosening all of the mounting bolts (not just thru bolts), dropping the engine into its "home" position and then tightening them all.

i have a 1998 corolla with 209K on the ODO. recently been having rough idle and vibration issues, so i've replaced the 4 mounts (2 engine and 2 transmission), and am now having an issue with the side transmission mount (on driver's side, directly under the air filter housing ).

no matter how i jack-up and try to shift the engine position ( with all mount thru bolts loose), when i torque down the bolts and remove the jacks, the engine returns to a position in which the yoke bracket on the transmission is touching the metal portion of the transmission mount. the engine/transmission appear to be shifted back, such that the mount isn't centered with the transmission yoke bracket. this positioning/interference is causing a chattering noise and vibration (not as bad as before), as well as a clunk at start.

anybody have any advice on getting the proper engine alignment after replacing motor and transmission mounts? maybe something i'm not disconnecting or a technique i haven't tried? any advice is greatly appreciated.

ship_reck

tried that last night, to no avail. looks like the problem might lie in using aftermarker (anchor) mounts. is there a good place to order oem parts online? my local dealer wants $450 + tax....

ship_reck

tried that last night, to no avail. looks like the problem might lie in using aftermarket (anchor) mounts. is there a good place to order oem parts online? my local dealer wants $450 + tax....

looks like the aftermarket mount i purchased was for a 3-speed auto, i've got an LE corolla w/a 4-speed auto.

Yeah, that will probably do it.

Try www.rockauto.com or www.1sttoyotaparts.com - both are liked by many members on multiple Toyota boards.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)