Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1Zz-Fe Non Vvt-I To A 1Zz-Fe With Vvt-I

Guest 75celica

I have a 99 prizm. i just bought it for $300 the body and interior and immaculate, but the engine threw a rod. i hear its typical for the engines to burn oil so i figured thats what happened.

I found a 2006 pontiac vibe that has the 1ZZ-FE engine but it has VVT-i. I've done alot of research but nothing has been helpful to tell me if the engine will work or not. Hes says he'll sell me the car for $250 (it was totalled from the rear) So im hesitant to buy the car if the engine wont work.

Any info on what ill need from the car will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Depends on what you are swapping - just the short block or whole engine. If the former - no worries, the bottom ends are the same between the two variants. If you want to swap in the whole engine - little bit different story.

Most of the wiring will have to come out of the Vibe, as well as the sensors. Pedal will have to be swapped as well - as I'm pretty sure that this model year of Vibe has DBW instead of the cable throttle body. You also have to move over the sensors, especially the O2 sensor - as with this engine, it is now a air fuel ratio sensor - has a much wider resolution, that a conventional O2 sensor can output. Intake will have to change - MAF vs MAP issue. Note that the transaxle is geared differently as well - to match the different powerband on the newer engine - the switched from a tubular aluminum intake runner to a shorter composite intake, different ECM air/fuel map and timing, and revised camshaft profile to boost mid-range and upper range power. Concequently, the engine likes to run higher RPMs compared to the 8th generation. Some have retained their old transaxle and swapped it with the new engine - and reported good results, but I'm pretty wary of a big design change. Normally, if the manufacturer changes the gearing that much - it is for good reason. EVAP system is completely changed as well - depending on where you live at - you might have to yank all the EVAP stuff off the donor car to make it "street legal". Not sure if it will happen on your car, but sometimes you'll have to swap the gauge cluster as well. Some cars won't run without the correct cluster. Mazda is that way for example.

Since you have both cars there - you have a much better chance to swap the engine drivelines. This kind of swap is doable and has been done before, but it is not for the faint of heart. Wiring is the tough part here.

Guest 75celica

Thanks for the info, this looks like more than what i want to get into. Im a mechanic by trade so ive got the mechanical know how, and you've helped out a ton. Ive called wrecking yards, dealers, engine rebuilders and know one could tell me anything useful. Ive tried to find a early model with non VVT-i, but everyone wants a ton of money for these engines even with a ton of miles, for instance at a local wrecking yard they want 650 for an engine with 281,000 i told him you guys are crazy. So thanks again, you've given me hope on making the attempt.

Sorry if i posted in the wrong forum. I didnt think it would go in performance cause im not trying to boost my power, but i guess i am upgrading to a newer engine. So again i appologize.

Thanks Jay

Topic List