Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Engine Light Problem Solved

by sam, November 21, 2004

Thanks fishexpo101, I cleaned the MAF and the car runs like new .

The engine light was on , it had poor accelaration , and was hard to start, but after cleaning it , the light is off and it runs great.

I followed the Corrolla shop manual and the values for the MAF check out so I thought it was fine , the manual never said anything about cleaning it.

I guess thats where experiance comes in. My wife was about to kill me!

That is very good to hear.

Yeah, the service manual doesn't tell you to clean it - just to get a new one ($$$). I guess it is because they are afraid that people can accidentally damage it.

Hey fishexpo101,

On my '98, there appears to be nothing between the air box and the throttle body, just the pipe. I think that the MAF sensor is mounted in a really, really inconvenient place on the back side of the throttle body. Can you can confirm this? If this is the case, has anybody tried to take it off?

Thanks!

I may be wrong on this - but I believe that the 1998-1999 Corollas (pre-VVTi) were MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) based instead of MAF based. There might be an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor on the airbox - not 100% - may only be on the 1999+ 1ZZ-FE Corollas. The 2000+ Corollas have the MAF and IAT in one package. The MAP Corollas have the unit on the firewall and the IAT separate from it.

Thanks fishexpo101!

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)