Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest jpb47

I have a 2000 Corolla that has a new battery and cranks the starter, but still won't start after sitting for a couple of months. A friend blew the 100 amp alternator fuse, which I replaced with the battery and now it the starter carnks but no ignition. A friend suggested some spray into the fuel injection system . Any suggestions ??r default_ohmy

Definately a fuel or ignition problem, trick is you will have to go through the typical steps.

Check you are getting spark, check that the fuel system us working, relays, switches, starter motor, battery, sensors etc etc etc

Just a matter of eliminating the obvious possible problems and going from there.

Good luck

Guest sins

does the 2000 corolla have a distributor?

Nope - coil/igniter packs over sparkplugs. But Accent 1ZZFE has valid area to check.

I'm wondering how you popped the 100AMP fuse for the alternator? If the car is sitting for a period of time - be a good idea to make sure that the plugs are in good shape. Fuel stabilier could come in handy here. Cleaning out the injector would be another thing to look at as well.

Check the coil packs over each sparkplug - make sure there is no cracks or damge to the Assemblies. You can get a injector test done as well - some batches of 1ZZ-FE engined Corollas had bad injectors. The solenoids would go bad and they would be stuck open or shut. MAF is something else to check. It that is fouled or damaged - your ECU would misread the amount of air coming it - causing hard or no starts.

Good Luck.

Guest sins

Nope - coil/igniter packs over sparkplugs. But Accent 1ZZFE has valid area to check.

can you adjust the ignition timing on a 1ZZFE then?

Depends is if it a VVT-i version or pre-VVT-i version of the 1ZZ-FE. Not very easily in either case - the timing is set by the ECU, you do have some adjustment in the crankshaft position sensor - but the best way is to get a piggy back or stand alone ECU to give you any kind of flexibility.

Guest sins

I have the VVT-i version in my 2001. you know of a link to a guide?

Not off hand - might be able to find some info on the sites that sell the ECU upgrades. Toyota ROM ECU are known to be harder to work with than others. If I run across anything - I'll be sure to post it on the forums.

Guest jpb47

The problem was a blown EFI fuse. The car starts now, but won't idle at all and stalls when I take my foot off of the accelerator. Is it another fuse or the computer ? Could it be bad gas from sitting ? Should I try the fuel injector cleaner and a fresh tank of gas or the dealer ?

Guest jpb47

By the way, thanks for the suggestions it lead me down the right path of doing the obvious step-by-bt step stuff.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)