Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2010 S Sound System

Guest emptyminded42

I purchased a '10 Sport model in August. After pushing my stereo as loud as it will go, I've determined it could use a little more low end. I was thinking of replacing the stock rear deck speakers (I think they're 6" x 9"s) and adding a sub. Is it possible to use the stock stereo head or do I need a new head? What do you guys think?

Depends on what overall sound quality you are after and your budget. They do make powered subs that wire to the existing headunit to supplement the audio system. Many of them have both low-level (RCA) and high-level (speaker) inputs. Depending on how much bass you want - could just toss in a higher quality speaker in place of the OEM speakers.

Guest emptyminded42

I'm looking for a fair amount more bass - the kick drum gets muddled with the bass with the stock speakers and was thinking a cheaper sub with an amp would help a lot. I'm not looking to shake my car or be audible from 3 blocks but rather for more clarity in the low end. Do you know where I could find the powered subs for the stock head? I'd like to try to keep the console looking stock if I can but I'm worried the stock head isn't enough power for subs.

Try looking up self-powered subs on www.crutchfield.com or similar audio sites. One that we've installed in the Camry is the Infinity Basslink. Decent sounds quality (not booming bass, just adds a little better definition to low frequency). Small size and easy to install. Just have to run power to the sub, which isn't too bad compared to other options. To help further separate the sounds - might consider running a crossover to the speakers - that way you can separate the high to mid frequencies to the OEM speakers and leave the low frequency to the sub. Some of the self-powered subs have a built-in crossover - which makes it a nice single box solution while keeping the OEM headunit.

I purchased a '10 Sport model in August. After pushing my stereo as loud as it will go, I've determined it could use a little more low end. I was thinking of replacing the stock rear deck speakers (I think they're 6" x 9"s) and adding a sub. Is it possible to use the stock stereo head or do I need a new head? What do you guys think?
Don't just replace the rear speakers....replace all 6. Get a decent head unit that plays mp3's and also a small rear amplifier. I did all that and also don't want to make a spectacle of myself

when my car is thumping about. The trunk gives you more than adequate bass. Take it from me...you don't need a subwoofer taking up room in your trunk.

I had pictures on here, but I see the link to the other website has changed hands.

Guest Sylvyr

Great thread and advice. I'm the proud owner of a 2010 XRS for the past month and I'm loving it. I don't have an Ipod connection, but I don't need one since I use my BlackBerry through the Auxiliary input. Sound is decent with the OEM 6-speaker system, but I'm also considering upgrading to aftermarket speakers only and not a full head unit upgrade if I can avoid it. I'm going to shop around a bit and see what I come up with. If I make any changes, I'll post here with the details and results.

Topic List