Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla 1.8 Engine

Guest bond

Im considering an 05 corolla purchase. I ve been a vw diesel driver since the 70;s. I still own

my vw.s and they have 500,000

on each of them. It is probably a fact that diesels will always outlast a gAsser.I want to know some things about the 1.8.

Will using mobil 1 extend the life of the engine and can I expect at least 300,000 with proper service

out of this engine??

My dealer tells me yes, but im

doubtfull. the 1.8 from 04 on

are supposed to be good ones !

Help !!

Max

You don't even have to use synthetics. It is a great engine, and with proper care, it should keep going long past the point you're bored with the car. My o3 has the same engine as the 04 and 05- 1ZZFE.

Although Mobil 1 is an excellent motor oil to use - I agree with Max - not neccessary for long engine life. As long as you keep up with the maintenance - any car can be made to go a long way. Still, hard to beat diesels, just the design makes them more reliable. By this time - the 1.8L 1ZZ-FE has matured enough in development, that most of the little bugs have been worked out. Probably will not go wrong with a new Corolla, as looking in this forum, many people are very pleased with the car overall.

Guest Toyota-san

I hope so. I just got my first Toyota this week. I plan on keeping it a long time (as I hear toyotas never really wear out)

I ran Mobil1 in a Dakota and a Zuke SUV. I highly recommend this oil.

friendly_jacek

My dealer tells me yes, but im doubtfull. the 1.8 from 04 on

are supposed to be good ones !

Help !!

What you do mean?

I thought the bad batches of 1.8 were between 97-99 (oil consumption).

I have 03 and no major mechanical problem. I guess the sulfur stink and noisy engine do not count as mechanical.

There are plenty of Corollas around with high mileage. Only time will tell if the '05 is as good or better than previous models, but I believe that your odds are pretty good.

My '95 Corolla now has 228,000 miles on it. I plan on getting 300K+ miles on it, and I have no reason to believe that I won't make it.

Mine was an early built 2000 and it had the oil consumption as well. I have seen atleast one report on a 2001 and 2002 on the net. But it appears to be rare. The 1zz-fe also is noisy when you start it on a cold morning.

sv11

I'm in the same boat as you. I have always (Last 22 years) run VW diesels and gotten 5-600,000km before giving away. The high cost of maintenance on my last 2 VW TDI diesels caused me to look elsewhere. I bought an 2003 Corolla S and it now has 175,000km on it. I run Mobil 1 synthetic and a K&N air filter. So far, it's been the cheapest car to operate that I've EVER owned. It never burns a drop of oil between changes (20,000km - 12,000 miles), has absolutely no squeeks or rattles and, during a recent look under the valve cover, was still clean as new. I can see absolutely no reason why it won't go as far as the VW. Each of my TDI's had cost me at least $1500 in replacements at this point, so add that to the price difference, and I'm laughin all the way to the bank.

USE Synthetic! It's well worth the price.

If you have the sulphur stink, a new TSB will recalibrate the engine computer and replace the catalytic converter free.

See your dealer.

I think any Toyota engine will last as long as you take care of it. I have 253,000 kms on my 1985 Corolla GTS.

default_smile

Aside from minor things that can crop up with high-mileage engines (tensioner pulley bearing failure, water pump, altenator, etc.) I am confident that Wifey's '98 will log over 200K trouble-free miles before it's time to retire it. Most of the older Corollas I see on the streets here are '88-up models with probably higher miles than that on them. Since southeast Texas seldom gets any snow there's no need for road salt in the winter and rust-free survivors are very common.

If you have the sulphur stink, a new TSB will recalibrate the engine computer and replace the catalytic converter free.

See your dealer.

Can you provide some specifics about the TSB? My '04, though I love it, stinks to high heaven and I'd like to have the TSB # when I approach my dealer about fixing the problem.

Thanks,

Jon

Max

Jon-If you go to www.alldata.com and search for the TSB, you can print it out and take it with you.

Guest Toyota-san

TO get the full detai of the TSB, you'll need to subscribe to alldata.

Max

I don't subscribe, but I did get the TSB. They have several they offer for free.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)