Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla Headlight Lens Removal

by twinky64, February 11, 2010

I have a question about baking the lights. At what temperature and for how long should I keep my headlights in the oven for proper removal. Please shed some light.

I tried doing this myself (2001 corolla) and this is what I did:

I tried the corner signals just to start off. I set the oven to 200F and placed them in there for 7.5 minutes. I took them out and tried prying them off with my hands (was wearing gloves) and didn't budge at all!!!! I set them back in the oven for another 7 minutes at 220F and pulled them out. I tried twisting and pulling the lens cover off and used my kitchen counter for support. Still wouldn't budge!!!! I set the corner signal on the counter and noticed that it warped!!!! I don't know if it warped in the oven or from using the counter as a support that caved it in. Knowing this, I dare not try and bake my headlights. If the same thing were to happen, my care becomes a day-only vehicle. Lol.

Do the lenses have a cooler melting temperature than ABS plastic? Does anybody know why my corner signal warped under, what I believe to be, cool baking temperatures?

Thank you

twinky64 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

I have a question about baking the lights. At what temperature and for how long should I keep my headlights in the oven for proper removal. Please shed some light.

I tried doing this myself (2001 corolla) and this is what I did:

I tried the corner signals just to start off. I set the oven to 200F and placed them in there for 7.5 minutes. I took them out and tried prying them off with my hands (was wearing gloves) and didn't budge at all!!!! I set them back in the oven for another 7 minutes at 220F and pulled them out. I tried twisting and pulling the lens cover off and used my kitchen counter for support. Still wouldn't budge!!!! I set the corner signal on the counter and noticed that it warped!!!! I don't know if it warped in the oven or from using the counter as a support that caved it in. Knowing this, I dare not try and bake my headlights. If the same thing were to happen, my care becomes a day-only vehicle. Lol.

Do the lenses have a cooler melting temperature than ABS plastic? Does anybody know why my corner signal warped under, what I believe to be, cool baking temperatures?

Thank you

twinky64 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

It is much easier to bake "depo" assemblies than the OEM ones. Some OEM ones are tough to open up - even after baking them for several minutes to soften the adhesive, you still have to pry them apart with some screwdrivers. As you unfortunately found out - the polycarbonate lenses don't take the heat very well - a strong temperature differential could have caused those to warp (i.e., bake in oven then bring them into a cool room, lenses could distort right then and there). With my 2002 - one assembly came open, but the other wouldn't budge, regardless of how much baking I did. So I gave up and tossed them back on the car.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)