Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By ChrisK, January 26, 2010

Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Corolla

Tires: Falken Ziex-912

Problem:

I rotate my tires every 6000miles. However, no matter which specific tire it may be, the tire that gets to be on the Front Driver Side position will ALWAYS leak air. I've observed this over three different tires, with all three tires leaking air once its at the Front-Driver Side position.

What could be the problem? I typically pump my tires up to 36psi and after 2 days, THAT SPECIFIC TIRE will be down to 30psi--with the remaining three still at approx 36psi. So far I've been re-pumping that tire every morning. Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

When do you add air, in the morning before the car starts to roll, or after driving around a bit. If you add air after the car has been driven, that could easily cause that 2PSI pressure loss (as tire temps drop, air pressure drops ). What are your driving conditions - do you run over speed bumps often or run the car up/down a parking deck spiral?

Kind of weird that only the tire in that corner will loose air - regardless on which tire wheel combination you put in that corner - sure that no one is screwing with your tires? Reason that I ask, used to have a neighbor kid that let the air out of my tires at night - never caught him, but always assumed that he was somehow involved. When he finally got kicked out ofhis house by his parents - my tires kept their air pressures from that point on.

When do you add air, in the morning before the car starts to roll, or after driving around a bit. If you add air after the car has been driven, that could easily cause that 2PSI pressure loss (as tire temps drop, air pressure drops ). What are your driving conditions - do you run over speed bumps often or run the car up/down a parking deck spiral?

Kind of weird that only the tire in that corner will loose air - regardless on which tire wheel combination you put in that corner - sure that no one is screwing with your tires? Reason that I ask, used to have a neighbor kid that let the air out of my tires at night - never caught him, but always assumed that he was somehow involved. When he finally got kicked out ofhis house by his parents - my tires kept their air pressures from that point on.

I add air before the car starts to roll--so the loss of air is not due to change in tire temps.

I do go over some speed bumps, there's an annoying "bump" that my apartment complex has. I go over bumps at a slow pace, say approx 5-10 mph? Could it be the bead seal or a valve stem leak? If so, what's the best way to check? Soapy water?

I highly doubt its foul play. I've observed this over 2 months and between TX and FL. It has happened so consistently that I went ahead and bought a 12V air pump...

Yup, soapy water in a spray bottle (trigger spray bottle) seems to work best. You can take the tire off the car, lay it on its side, check both sides.

Do you know if they replaced the valve stems when they replaced the tires? Did they clean the old rubber off the bead area? Could be the speed bumps causing the funky pressure loss. Tires will eventually lose air over time, but not at the time scales you are seeing (basically overnight). If the valve stem is leaking (take the cap off and check the valve itself) or bead is not cleaned properly - even a low speed bump will cause air loss.

I'm having the same problem, only with the right front (passenger side) tire. Appears to lose 5 - 7 psi every week or so. Tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple-Treds, approximately 5 years old with maybe 50K miles on them. Rotated every 7 - 10K miles.

I managed to find the time (and energy to move my lazy ######) to Discount Tire today, and it was determine that I have a bent wheel.

So, my wheel is BENT?! CRAP... Is there an easy DIY method to fix/repair this? Or should I be looking at new wheels? How can I independently verify that the wheel is bent? (This is because the technician that worked on my car didn't seem to know what he was doing. I didn't observe him actually LOOKING at the "faulty" wheel--and he said he placed in on the rear right when it was really on the front right)

Also, if I'm into new wheels, are there any suggestions?

Sizes are 185/65/14. But I'm honestly not looking forward to spending money on new wheels...

I managed to find the time (and energy to move my lazy ######) to Discount Tire today, and it was determine that I have a bent wheel.

So, my wheel is BENT?! CRAP... Is there an easy DIY method to fix/repair this? Or should I be looking at new wheels? How can I independently verify that the wheel is bent? (This is because the technician that worked on my car didn't seem to know what he was doing. I didn't observe him actually LOOKING at the "faulty" wheel--and he said he placed in on the rear right when it was really on the front right)

Also, if I'm into new wheels, are there any suggestions?

Sizes are 185/65/14. But I'm honestly not looking forward to spending money on new wheels...

Did you post this issue on the Toyota Nation forums? If that was you, you said before that when Discount Tire rotated the tires, they rotated the entire wheel assembly-- they didn't dismount the tires. So, a bent wheel doesn't make sense at all, as the air loss should stay with the wheel assembly and therefore move around the vehicle.

The only other thing it could be, then, is that if the hub itself is bent, and attaching a wheel to it temporarily distorts it enough to break the bead slightly -- but surely that would cause the steering wheel to shake or vibrate at the very least.

You should probably find a different place to examine this issue, or determine if they are rotating the tires by dismounting them and ensuring that the wheels themselves don't change positions.

Topic List