Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Odometer Stopped At 299,999

Guest MOVALLEY

I am new to the forum, I have a 2003 Corolla S, the Odometer stopped working at 299,999, the trip meters for A and B continue work along with the temp gauge on the odometer panel. My question, do I need to buy a new odometer, or can i somehow get it to reset and continue on?

Thanks in advance

Well, isn't that interesting. It is quite possible that there is a limit of 299,999 miles on that odometer. I suppose you can just reset it. You may have to get permission from the county though.

Toyota knows of this issue and does not cover it under warranty that is applicable any more. You would think they should give you one on good will This also effects the odometers that read in Kms and miles. You will have to go to them to get a new odometer and they will give a sticker to place on the car indicating of the new odometer. Not sure of the price for a new odometer and installation, but it is not cheap. There is so much room for fraud though, if you do not get it replaced, I think that may be classified as odometer fraud. If your car makes it to inspection next year and it shows you did not travel a single mile or km, there will be questions. You can buy odometers on ebay and the mileage is stored in the odometer itself.

Bikeman982

Seems like a lot of miles for that year car.

Just keep track of your additional miles from the trip meter, then replace the entire instrument cluster (or just the speedometer).

When you go to sell the car, you can disclose the mileage difference on the title, or bill of sale.

friendly_jacek

MOVALLEY,

Congrats on the high mileage and welcome to the forum. I bet Toyota did not expect someone would put so many miles on an econobox ;-)

I know that in many countries overseas there is a cottage industry of electronic wizards rolling back miles on cars. Clearly illegal in the USA. The idea of buying an used odometer with lower miles is probably the best (or cheapest) option you have.

Tell us more about the car and repairs you did in those 300,000 miles. Frequency of oil changes, etc. Also, is the car made in early 2002? If so, that should put to rest my doubts about longevity of 1ZZ-FE engines manufactured in 2002.

• 149 posts

Is that 299.999 miles or kilometers?

Guest MOVALLEY

Thank you for the response. I have had this car since 2005, it had 34,000 miles on it. I drive daily from the Riverside area to LA and Orange County. This car has well over 300 thousand miles. I take very good care of it. I change the oil on the average 10-12 thousand miles. This is the original engine and tranny. I have had to repair the motor mounts, starter, radiator and of course the tires and brakes a few times. This is a very reliable car.

Thank you for the response. I have had this car since 2005, it had 34,000 miles on it. I drive daily from the Riverside area to LA and Orange County. This car has well over 300 thousand miles. I take very good care of it. I change the oil on the average 10-12 thousand miles. This is the original engine and tranny. I have had to repair the motor mounts, starter, radiator and of course the tires and brakes a few times. This is a very reliable car.
WOW thats awesome! I hope I get the same service out of my 05 Corolla.What kind of oil do you use?

Guest Joe Albert

Hi. My odometer stopped at 299999kms a while back, I drive a lot for work, on average 700kms a day, and I have been keeping track of the mileage with the trip A odometer, the trip B only goes to 9999kms... I fuel daily so its not hard to keep track of it. Still not good that Toyota told me that it broke down when they know its a problem from factory. Anyways, my Toyota is a 2005 ccorolla s and I bought used at 92000kms.... so far no serious problems though a lot more reliable than my previous domestic cars.

300000 miles??? Wow im hoping i get the same or a little better out of my 98 corolla.

245000 miles so far and still daily driving!!!

Lol when it just quits i know what car im gonna get next!!.... another corolla!!

• 110 posts

Just ran into the 299,999 speedometer defect. Local Toyota dealership said to use the trip meter A or trip meter B to record mileage over 299,999. Bad thing is, I kept trying to reset the speedometer ever so often when it got stuck at 299,999. So, those are lost miles.

Thank you Toyota - this is how they reward a loyal customer who brought their car for regular maintenance. Makes me wonder how much money went to local dealer all these years. The bad thing - we have 2 Corollas: my 2003 CE and my daughters 2006 S. We have 3 Toyotas in our garage. The last being a 2013 Venza. So to replace 2 defective speedometers will be over $1000.00 dollars out of pocket. So, yes, we will use the trip meter A and trip meter B option. If we ever sell either corolla, we would have to disclose the issue on pink slip.

• 3 posts

My 1998 Corolla has 328,800 miles and counting :-) Other than regular maintenance (Brakes, fluid changes, tires, etc.) I've only had to replace front wheel bearings, interior door handle, exterior door handle, starter, running light relay module (went bad due to ground wire issue), and HVAC blower motor. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission which is great for daily driving and the overdrive is great for saving gas at highway speeds. Overall an extremely reliable car. I recently bought a 2001 Chevrolet Prizm to replace it with 124,000 miles. The Chevrolet Prizm and Toyota Corolla are twins, and share most of the same components with exception of the dash and HVAC system. The Prizm is,essentially a Corolla with a Chevrolet emblem.

• Like 1
My 1998 Corolla has 328,800 miles and counting :-) Other than regular maintenance (Brakes, fluid changes, tires, etc.) I've only had to replace front wheel bearings, interior door handle, exterior door handle, starter, running light relay module (went bad due to ground wire issue), and HVAC blower motor. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission which is great for daily driving and the overdrive is great for saving gas at highway speeds. Overall an extremely reliable car. I recently bought a 2001 Chevrolet Prizm to replace it with 124,000 miles. The Chevrolet Prizm and Toyota Corolla are twins, and share most of the same components with exception of the dash and HVAC system. The Prizm is,essentially a Corolla with a Chevrolet emblem.

Before my family had an actual Corolla, I thought I couldn't join this forum. We've had Prizms, but I thought since those have a different badge, they didn't count here. I knew about this place months before, but felt I had to just be a guest on the site. Now that I'm here, I wish I hadn't let Prizms rather than an actual Corolla stop me. I see people talking about their Prizms here. I knew about Prizms being a Corolla twins because of this.*  I have to use the emblems, taillights and sometimes Corollas that vintage having body colored door handles to tell a Prizm from what I call a Prizmoid Corolla.

*See attachments

[ATTACH]11[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12[/ATTACH]

Topic List