Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Remote Diagnosis...high Pitched Engine Noise...youtube Video

Guest Gecko

My brother has a 93 and is having trouble with a wierd high-pitched noise. It changes with the revs on the engine.

If you want to see a video, here it is:

Anyone have any thoughts as to where to point him after seeing it?

Thanks,

Greg

use a long screw driver as a stethoscope and try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from...but it sounds like it could be a bad alternator bearing. take the belts off and see if the noise goes, you can go one belt at a time till it stops and then note what was driven by that belt. the noise could also be in the timing belt, the idler or tensioner bearing.

or he has a supercharger he's not telling you about.

Guest Gecko

use a long screw driver as a stethoscope and try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from...but it sounds like it could be a bad alternator bearing. take the belts off and see if the noise goes, you can go one belt at a time till it stops and then note what was driven by that belt. the noise could also be in the timing belt, the idler or tensioner bearing.

or he has a supercharger he's not telling you about.

I told him to do the same with a board....but a screwdriver would work better. He's worried his neighbors will think he's nuts. I like the idea of removing the belts one at a time to see what it is.

I lol'ed the supercharger comment...wonder how much boost he's got on it.

Thanks for those suggestions!

my 92 made a similar noise, just tell him to do like i did and beat it half to death in quartermile acceleration and crack the exhaust manifold, it kinda covers the noise up if he doesnt like it... i miss that car thing ran with the head cracked in 3 places default_biggrin

• 54 posts

Sounds like either the alternator or power steering pump...

As others have said previously, pull the belts and see if the noise goes away. If it does not, you have bigger problems.

Topic List