Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1Zz Fe Tps Reading At Idle

By AlaricD, January 3, 2010

On my 2001 Corolla LE with automatic transmission, the TPS reading is 10 at idle according to my new Scangauge II. Should it be at 0 or at least lower than 10 at idle? It's the same reading even after entering closed loop operation and with all accessories off.

Any 2001 Corolla owner with a scangauge able to verify, or is this information available in a service manual somewhere?

I can't remember when I used to have the Scangauge in the Corolla - since moved it to my other car - but I seem to recall that it never read zero, but not sure if it was 10+ either. I'll double check it when I get a chance. As for the FSM spec, I didn't run into anything that would explain that particular offset you are seeing. Assuming you did the calibration routine with the Scangauge?

I can't remember when I used to have the Scangauge in the Corolla - since moved it to my other car - but I seem to recall that it never read zero, but not sure if it was 10+ either.

Assuming you did the calibration routine with the Scangauge?

I remember plugging it in and it seemed to activate pretty quickly, and I set the engine size and fuel tank size, but really didn't do much else. I did set the injector shut-off to 9, rather than 11 or higher because I wasn't sure that it was shutting off the injectors or not when coasting (it was fun for a while watching mileage skyrocket to 250+mpg when I had the cutoff at 11). I need to reread the manual to see if there's anything more I need to do to calibrate it-- it seems like there should be something to tell the injector volume or any number of things, but I suppose it could read some stuff from the ECU.

I haven't tried watching the scanguage while trying to close the throttle more by hand at the throttle body, in case it's binding somewhere and not able to close all the way. I don't clean the TB all that often, but the last time I did I didn't notice enough varnish had built up to prevent the plate from closing fully, as far as I could tell.

I have noticed that with as even a pedal pressure as I could muster, the TPS reading would fluctuate on acceleration somewhat (like jump to 33 and then back down to about 20) and sometimes would read higher than I thought I was applying pressure. I'm not sure if that was a function of the fuel map or maybe I have an ailing TPS. I'm going to try using the XGauge feature to see if I can read the O2 sensors' estimation of the A/F ratio and such.

I haven't tried the SGII in my other vehicle (1995 Previa LE S/C) yet because it wasn't clear that it could detect that it was in a different vehicle and store all the parameters for it to make switching seamless. I didn't want to lose any historical data or mess up how the SGII was 'learning' the Corolla. (Seems like a vehicle tracking/switching feature it would be a true need if it didn't already have it and I haven't discovered it yet.)

My 05 corolla is shows 15 on the TPS.

My 05 corolla is shows 15 on the TPS.

As they're from different 'generations', it might not tell me much... Thanks, though, for checking that.

I suppose even from the same model year there may be some slight variances-- but if fishexpo's is very different from mine (it's an 02, if his signature is to be believed, but that's in the same generation at least) it may signify a problem with my own. Something tells me his Corolla is in better repair than mine despite my somewhat meticulous care of my car.

Regarding the SGII readings, the IGN reading also seems to not do what I think it should. Is the number the number of degrees BTDC that the ignition is firing, or does it have a more arcane meaning?

friendly_jacek

13% in 2003

Sorry I didn't back to you on this thread - been on travel and hadn;t had a chance to check until yesterday. Mine reads about 10-12 on idle as well - kind of weird, maybe just the was the ECM presents the data to the Scangauge.

Sorry I didn't back to you on this thread - been on travel and hadn;t had a chance to check until yesterday. Mine reads about 10-12 on idle as well - kind of weird, maybe just the was the ECM presents the data to the Scangauge.
I guess 10 is normal... Thanks for the rsponse.

It's hard to watch the thing while accelerating, but sometimes it does seem that the TPS reading dances a little with even pedal pressure when leaving a light... could be the TPS is starting to get a little off kilter somehow.

Topic List