Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Do You Disable Factory Alarm On 1998 Corolla Le?

by oneton95, January 2, 2010

I'm thinking about buying a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE, it has keyless remote. I heard that if you try to unlock the doors with just the key the alarm will sound and the car would be disengaged! I'm kind of hesitant of this, since there is only one keyless remote. If I lose the remote I won't be able to get in the car with just a key, or start it. Is there a way to disable the factory alarm? I know you could disable the battery however this will just reset once it is connected.

Please help me out with this predicament....thanks to all!

You can disable the factory alarm, if you like. There is also a procedure that you can follow with how the car is opened with a key - something on the order of locking the door with the key and unlocking it with the key. No worries about getting a replacement remote - just be sure to write down the FCC number on the back of the remote and note the model of the alarm system used.

You can disable the factory alarm, if you like. There is also a procedure that you can follow with how the car is opened with a key - something on the order of locking the door with the key and unlocking it with the key. No worries about getting a replacement remote - just be sure to write down the FCC number on the back of the remote and note the model of the alarm system used.

Ya I've been on ebay looking around at the extra remotes. How would I find that procedure on how to open the car with remote or key? Also do you know if or how it is possible to program a new keyless remote for that model car? I know there has to be a way, but I haven't seen anything yet. I've programmed mine for my truck and other cars in the past, and I know there is a way to get the codes, but I can't find any. Do you have any idea? Also how do I find out the model type of the alarm system?

Thanks..

The instructions on how to program the key yourself will depend on the model of the alarm system in the car. Usually, the control box or "brains" of the alarm are up under the dash, driver's side, by the fuse box, same place but on the passenger side, or mounted on a bracket under either one of the front seats. Reason for the various locations, many of these factory alarms are installed by the dealership, instead of the manufacturing plant.

Usually the programming involves a series of key turns and door opening/closings. The exact steps will depend on the series of the alarm system - may be able to get a printout of these instructions from your dealership. Usually the system is called a VIP RS3000 or VIP RS3200 - as those should be the ones available around that model year. Might even be able to find some online user's manuals - one should have come with the car.

I've been wondering if my '98 was originally equipped with a keyless unlock remote. I didn't know it was offered from the factory back when I bought the car privately. But at some point I found mention of it in the owners manual.

Reason for the various locations, many of these factory alarms are installed by the dealership, instead of the manufacturing plant.

Usually the programming involves a series of key turns and door opening/closings. The exact steps will depend on the series of the alarm system - may be able to get a printout of these instructions from your dealership.

Yeah... I'd think the dealer should have information on the process. May even be in the owner's manual I have in the car. Will check tomorrow.

Meanwhile I just Googled 'toyota vip RS3000 programming' and came up with this pdf that outlines the programming procedure, and shows mounting locations for the ECU on several Toyota models:

http://www.ih8mud.co...er/ax005t99.pdf

In the diagram in the pdf, it's under the driver seat on the '99 Corolla. But as you said, it's possible the dealership could have mounted it elsewhere.

Here's a pdf for the VIP RS3200:

http://www.customtac...Programming.pdf

I've been wondering if my '98 was originally equipped with a keyless unlock remote. I didn't know it was offered from the factory back when I bought the car privately. But at some point I found mention of it in the owners manual.

Reason for the various locations, many of these factory alarms are installed by the dealership, instead of the manufacturing plant.

Usually the programming involves a series of key turns and door opening/closings. The exact steps will depend on the series of the alarm system - may be able to get a printout of these instructions from your dealership.

Yeah... I'd think the dealer should have information on the process. May even be in the owner's manual I have in the car. Will check tomorrow.

Meanwhile I just Googled 'toyota vip RS3000 programming' and came up with this pdf that outlines the programming procedure, and shows mounting locations for the ECU on several Toyota models:

In the diagram in the pdf, it's under the driver seat on the '99 Corolla. But as you said, it's possible the dealership could have mounted it elsewhere.

Here's a pdf for the VIP RS3200:

http://www.customtac...Programming.pdf

Thank you so much for the information! That's great I had no idea what that thing was called. Do you happen to know if you could just use the 2 button remote or can you program a 3 button remote for it as well? If so what would be the numbers of the replacement remotes that I would need from ebay? I'm guessing the difference between a 2 and 3 button remote is the trunk button.

Thank you so much for the information! That's great I had no idea what that thing was called. Do you happen to know if you could just use the 2 button remote or can you program a 3 button remote for it as well? If so what would be the numbers of the replacement remotes that I would need from ebay? I'm guessing the difference between a 2 and 3 button remote is the trunk button.
Other than what I can Google, I'm pretty clueless. I'm just learning this stuff myself, wondering if my '98 has such a system, but perhaps stopped working at some point before I bought it privately.

I'm guessing that which kind of remote control you use is probably tied to which system is installed in the car. And that probably means finding the control box in the car, and reading its model number. And that may be a bit challanging if the previous owner doesn't have any documentation.

Other than what I can Google, I'm pretty clueless. I'm just learning this stuff myself, wondering if my '98 has such a system, but perhaps stopped working at some point before I bought it privately.

I'm guessing that which kind of remote control you use is probably tied to which system is installed in the car. And that probably means finding the control box in the car, and reading its model number. And that may be a bit challanging if the previous owner doesn't have any documentation.

I actually don't have the car yet, I'm in the process of buying it. I notice you said that you have a '98? That is the one I'll be purchasing. Is the RS3000 module box underneath the drivers seat, the manual pictured that in a '99. Since you have the car and are familiar with it you would know where that box would be. You don't sound clueless to me sounds like you know what you are doing. Did you get your keyless working? I do know that the remotes there are 2 types one black the other grey. They are similar design the only difference being their colour. The grey ones won't work with 1998 models...they are just for '99's and up. Do you think that maybe your module box needs to be recalibrated perhaps or maybe even replaced? Not sure...I'm a noob too!

I was never aware of any remote locking system until I fould you post. I checked my '98 manual (mine's a LE too), and there's no mention of it at all. The models with it installed may either have come with a different owner's manual, or a separate manual for the locking system.

I did check under my driver's seat, and there was no ECU (control box) there as the VIP RS3000 pdf indicated. The VIP RS3200 pdf didn't indicate where its ECU may have been mounted.

The manual DID have a section on a 'Theft deterrent system' that's supposed to make a noise if the doors are forced open though. It mentions a wireless remote, but the previous owner didn't offer one and never mentioned it. I don't know whether or not that was a standard feature all '98s were supposed to be equipped with.

I do know that the remotes there are 2 types one black the other grey. They are similar design the only difference being their colour. The grey ones won't work with 1998 models...they are just for '99's and up.
That VIP RS3200 pdf says:

"Starting with 1998 MY, the remote controls for the RS3000 System were revised with new coding logics. The color of the remote control cases was changed from Black to Gray to help identify the new remote controls. The new (Gray) remote controls will not work with the RS3000 ECU's produced prior to 1998 MY."

That sounds like it was the '97 and earlier models that had the black controls, and that the '98 and up were gray. Where did you hear the '98 should be black?

Also, that pdf mentions a separate 'Status Monitor' device that's pictured. In order to program the system, not only do you have to find the ECU and press a switch on it, but you'll need the Status Monitor as well as the door lock remote.

I was never aware of any remote locking system until I fould you post. I checked my '98 manual (mine's a LE too), and there's no mention of it at all. The models with it installed may either have come with a different owner's manual, or a separate manual for the locking system.

I did check under my driver's seat, and there was no ECU (control box) there as the VIP RS3000 pdf indicated. The VIP RS3200 pdf didn't indicate where its ECU may have been mounted.

The manual DID have a section on a 'Theft deterrent system' that's supposed to make a noise if the doors are forced open though. It mentions a wireless remote, but the previous owner didn't offer one and never mentioned it. I don't know whether or not that was a standard feature all '98s were supposed to be equipped with.

I do know that the remotes there are 2 types one black the other grey. They are similar design the only difference being their colour. The grey ones won't work with 1998 models...they are just for '99's and up.

That VIP RS3200 pdf says:

"Starting with 1998 MY, the remote controls for the RS3000 System were revised with new coding logics. The color of the remote control cases was changed from Black to Gray to help identify the new remote controls. The new (Gray) remote controls will not work with the RS3000 ECU's produced prior to 1998 MY."

That sounds like it was the '97 and earlier models that had the black controls, and that the '98 and up were gray. Where did you hear the '98 should be black?

Also, that pdf mentions a separate 'Status Monitor' device that's pictured. In order to program the system, not only do you have to find the ECU and press a switch on it, but you'll need the Status Monitor as well as the door lock remote.

I'm not sure where I read that the black and grey remotes aren't compatible, or which years they cover. So would the 1998's be grey? I wasn't really paying attention when I took my car for a test drive, I will let you know later. What I did find out though is that the RS3000 is located in the trunk, I personally didn't look but I called a dealership, the guy in parts department told me. So maybe you could check for me and let me know. He said it's either under the drivers seat, or in the trunk both on drivers side.

So would the 1998's be grey? I wasn't really paying attention when I took my car for a test drive,

That's what the RS3000 pdf says, "Starting with 1998 MY, (edit: 'model year') the remote controls for the RS3000 System were revised..."

It'd be easy enough to call your Toyota dealer's parts counter and have them confirm it. Also have them check to see if the VIP RS3000 was installed on the the '98s, or the VIP RS3200. Or if both were available. That'll determine which remote to get.

What I did find out though is that the RS3000 is located in the trunk, I personally didn't look but I called a dealership, the guy in parts department told me. So maybe you could check for me and let me know.
After reading your reply, I pulled everything out of my trunk and routed around with a flashlight for 15-20 minutes. I followed the wiring harness the best as I could without pulling the side panel covers off, but I didn't find anything that looked like a door lock ECU. Remote lock controls were an option back then, so it seems more and more likely that it was never installed in my '98.

I WAS impressed with how new things look in the trunk though. It's been a while since I pulled the floor cover off the small spare tire to check its status. The darned thing is rock solid and the rubber still has that new tire 'Armor All' look and smell. It's obviously never been needed.

I need to correct myself when addressing the VIP RS3000 pdf I said: "In the diagram in the pdf, it's under the driver seat on the '99 Corolla." That was incorrect. In the diagram of the location of the ECU in Corollas, no model year is indicated.

That mistake seemed to prompt you to ask about 2 and 3 button remotes which you're thinking of finding on EBay, and wondering about the gray and black colors for the remote on '99s and '98s. Looking at the pdfs for the RS3000 and RS3200, only the RS3200 appears to offer the 3 button remote that has an AUX button that the pdf indicates is used to activate the OPTIONAL electric trunk release accessory. The RS3000 remote is shown to only have 2 buttons.

If the '98 you're looking at has the RS3000, you need the matching 2 button remote. If the RS3200 is installed, you only need the 3 button remote if the car has the optional electric trunk release accessory.

The gray/black issue only seems to be one with the RS3000. There's no mention of colors in the RS3200 pdf.

And don't forget about that 'Status Monitor' needed for programming.

Guest rbouska

Thank you for this forum!

I just bought a 2001 Corolla S and it came with two keyless remotes but one didn't work. I contacted ikeyless.com and they told me to go to a dealer or locksmith to get it reprogrammed. I called the dealer and they quoted me $60 and 30 minutes to do it.

Using the link posted by gxtrqw9 I was able to do it myself in like a minute default_biggrin

Thank you so much!!! I owe ya! default_wink

I hate car "Stealer"ships!

I'm at a loss here. I viewed both Toyota PDFs to see if my car is ready to accept a remote control. After completing the door open-and-close and ignition key procedures, the car did nothing.

When I bought my 2002 LE, it did not come with a remote control. I'd like to purchase one, but for some reason, my car is not responding to the steps outlined.

This car does NOT have a Toyota security system, nor does it have an aftermarket system.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you verify that the keyless entry "brain" to talk to the remotes is installed on the car and has power? The brains can come from either Toyota's VIP alarm system or Toyota keyless entry system. Those can be tough to find, as they are portside/dealer installed. Could be under the seats, in the kick panels, under the dash, by the parking brake, or even in the trunk.

The "brain" is not under the driver's seat. I cannot find it at all. I just find it hard to believe a LE model wasn't equipped with keyless entry. I can see it with a VE model, but not LE.

My S trim was the same way - no keyless brain. The keyless and alarm systems are port/dealer installed, as well as dependent on the market region. So the upper trim levels are not a guarantee that the car has keyless capability.

Geez...and the S trim is supposedly top-of-the-line.

Oh well, I guess I'll just look old-fashioned unlocking my car with a key instead of a fob.

Geez...and the S trim is supposedly top-of-the-line.

Oh well, I guess I'll just look old-fashioned unlocking my car with a key instead of a fob.

Well here is my TDS system that came with my New from Dealer Corolla 2000 S (Performa). I also have second hand Corolla 2001 CE and do have this TDS, but as passive since CE do not have Power Locks. They have a factory installed, so called TDS or Theft Deterrent System, usually Manufactured by Audiovox (USA). There is not or any reference that this can be true, TDS and Audiovox...I know that these VIPs for the newer corollas are from Fujitsu,,,Since Toyota has been used for factory installed system the Fujitsu VIP RS3000 from 1996 to 2002 models and from 2003 to 2005 models the Fujitsu VIP RS3200. However, for many years Toyota has provided the Corollas without factory installed system, but through the Dealer Plug installed systems...That may be have to do with the Credits Exemptions and tax reduction for the imports cars...So they started to sale plain cars to avoid taxes, and then offer those extra options as dealer installed.

Here is my original booklet that came with my Corolla 2000 (VE) S or performance. depending on how tax grant were obtained, they converted the VE in Performa and so on. May be your LE is really a VE converted to LE at dealer facility.

I hope this Helps to understand this old TDS for those who have it.

If someone can find this information in a readable PDF will be very helpful. Up to date is none existance... Everybody is looking for it and I was able to find it in my Corolla 2000 Glove box, in a sealed package tagged as "Set Literature Bag" No.15011573. Also the Booklet has only some form code and print code as follows Form no, 128 - 4793A (LIA47931).... I hope this help.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)