Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Jglitch, December 30, 2009

greetings rollers!

i'm having issue with my 98 rolla. the caution (handbrake) light suddenly came up. i've noticed that it only comes up when i'm running past 60km/h and when i went to a complete stop, the light goes off. now, when i accelerate again pass 60 km/h, it shows up again.

fish had told me it could be the master brake cylinder fluid is running low. i am yet to check it out. i thought that maybe had the same issue here and figured out what the problem was.

thanks.

Like Fish suggested, I would check on brake fluid level first and I would do that without any delay. Brakes is not something to take lightly.

Make sure the fluid is near max level. If not, top it up with correct fluid type. For your car I think it is DOT3, but check with your manual.

V

greetings rollers!

i'm having issue with my 98 rolla. the caution (handbrake) light suddenly came up. i've noticed that it only comes up when i'm running past 60km/h and when i went to a complete stop, the light goes off. now, when i accelerate again pass 60 km/h, it shows up again.

fish had told me it could be the master brake cylinder fluid is running low. i am yet to check it out. i thought that maybe had the same issue here and figured out what the problem was.

thanks.

Guest boatsinbottles

Like Fish suggested, I would check on brake fluid level first and I would do that without any delay. Brakes is not something to take lightly.

Make sure the fluid is near max level. If not, top it up with correct fluid type. For your car I think it is DOT3, but check with your manual.

V

And your fluid level may be low if your pads are wearing out (getting thinner--requiring more of the fluid to be in the line)

V

And your fluid level may be low if your pads are wearing out (getting thinner--requiring more of the fluid to be in the line)

thanks guys!

fish, cryptic and all.... the brake fluid was near the minimum line. just added a bit more (not pass the max line) and the rest was okay.

i will get the pads check again to see it it needs replacement.

thank you.....

Don't forget to check the rear shoes as well.

tdk

I have a '98 corolla and I'm having the same brake light problem. Visual check seems to indicate that brake fluid level is near minimum. I would like to fill the brake fluid reservoir but I can't figure out how to get the top off the reservoir. Any help would be appreciated?????

righty tighty, lefty loosey.. put a rag on top for a little leverage!

Make sure you wipe the top of the master cylinder reservoir with a rag before you take the cap off, don't want debris to fall into the master brake cylinder when you are refilling it. The cap is one of those soft rubber type ones - just peals off the top of the master cylinder. Just grab and edge and pull - like pulling the top off of a Tupperware container.

If the fluid has dropped that much, I'm assuming that you are probably getting close to a brake pad change - as the fluid generally doesn't "evaporate" over time - only goes down when the friction materials of the brakes wear out or if there is a leak in the lines.

Topic List