Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla With 85000 Miles, Maintenace Question

by kulkarni_ash, November 16, 2004

kulkarni_ash

Hi

I have 2001 corolla with 85000 miles and i drive 80 miles daily .

What mainteance do i have to do on it, what parts should i change?

i have new tires and brakes, and i do oil change every 5-6 thousands miles.

Now if i call the dealer, they will give me a big list of parts, i want to know what is important so i can keep my car running in good condition

Regards

Ashish

That would vary quite a bit depending on driving conditions, previous maintenance on the vehicle, and how it is drive now.

The bare minimun would be the items listed in your service booklet that should have come with the car. You can also download PDFs copies of it from the Toyota website.

Are going to do all the work yourself or have someone else do it? 5-6K oil changes are about as far as I would personally go - if it was dino juice, a bit more with synthetic oils.

You can do more maintenance on your car - it won't hurt anything, just cost you a bit more up front. Dealers tend to add too many unneccessary service items and additives to the typical stop (pad profits) - although, there are some dealerships that do follow the factory recommendations if you tell them first.

Good Luck.

By mileage, you should check the spark plugs. Other than that, as long as your fluids are clean, you should be good to go.

Dai_Shan

Well i guess the main things i would do would be thinkin about would a tranny flush(good prventative maintenence) and check your belts (might be starting to get bad)

Other then that you should be fine IMO.

Flushes can stir up gunk and do much more harm than good.

Just drain & replace fluid.

Bob:

Have you done a drain and replace on your '03 Corolla yet? How did it go? How much fluid did you get out of it, and how long did you let it drain? How did you get the new fluid into the tranny dipstick tube? I've got less than 7,000 miles to go before my first 30,000 mile drain/replace, and I want as much info on it as possible, since I've never done that myself before.

I'd also like to get the same kind of feedback on doing an antifreeze drain/replace.

Dai_Shan

I thought the point of replacing any kinda fluid is to have clean fluid after....if you leave all the crap in your engine...your new oil will just get F'd up more sooner, then later.

But yes gunk will be stired....i guess if your doing it yourself you would wnt it flushed...then flushed again kinda thing. Or drive it a lot before you do the drain (works good for oil sludge also) but i don't know how draining HOT tranny fluid would work...pry not safe.

Usually, the hotter the better - but safety first. Clean fluids are OK - but flush machines force fluid in/out of the system. Better to warm the transmission up - drain the fluid and drop the pan to clean off all the metal shavings yourself. The little magnets on the bottom of the pan will catch any metal particles still floating around there after you add new fluid.

Even the best flush machines out there cannot get as much stuff out of there as a mechanical cleaning that you can provide yourself. Only advantage that dealers get for pushing flush jobs (motor oil, transmission, differential, etc.)is saving the customer time.

My dealership actually can flush out the fluids out in the parking lot - they don't even need to bring it into the shop.

On my 2003 CE 5 speed, dealer indicated no need to drain yet (22K).

Had dealer drain and refill 2003 LE auto at 25K since son's at school and might forget to do it around 30K.

• 42 posts

I bought used 2000 with 90 k. Since I didn't know what was done with the transmission. I wanted to replace fluid and maybe flush. But dealer adviced me not to touch it as long as the fluid is clean(it is) and it shifts well. Iasked in transmission shops and they generally agreed.

Any comments

Thanks

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)