Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By K_Watson, November 21, 2009

K_Watson

I got some new tires for the Prizm today. I got 4 Yokohama Avid T4 tires. has anyone else had them on their corolla/prizm. How are they?

I have the H4s Yokohamas. Always thought they wore kind of quickly.

Good tires for non-snow driving.

odd, 30k miles and i had just under 1/2 tread. it'd have been better if i rotated correctly. and i found them to be amazing in the snow! but that may be more the driver than the tire?

odd, 30k miles and i had just under 1/2 tread. it'd have been better if i rotated correctly. and i found them to be amazing in the snow! but that may be more the driver than the tire?

I've only tested the H4 on snow actually, the precursor to the H4s. I got the H4ses since I moved to Texas and haven't tested them on snow. I will say I was able to claw my way up a snowy 22° slope in the H4 tires, more than once. It was very very dicey and involved spinning and slipping, but I had no choice if I wanted to go to work.

It's possible some of the disappointing tread wear could be due to inflation issues. I'm not an aggro driver.

I still have my Yokohama H4S tires on my Corolla - 195/60R14 size. Snow, when the tread is still deep and you still have some of the sips on the tread face - they did a pretty decent job in the snow. Once they wore down past 1/2 mark, then they tended to dicey on slippery conditions. Definitely not a snow tire, but it will get the job done. Compared to the OEM Goodyear Integrity GL tires - 1/2 worn Yokohamas had more bite than brand new Goodyears in snow.

I've also found that Yokohamas tend to be a little soft in the sidewall and really picky with tire pressures. But they also respond very favorably to heat cycling. With a proper heat cycling, their tread compound still retains their great traction characteristics and treadwear goes through the roof. The set I have on currently is about 1/2 worn with about 60K-70K miles.

I have two year old TRZs on my Corolla. So far pretty satisfied with the tires in dry, wet, and snow but the car is light mileage driven. YMMV.

friendly_jacek

I've also found that Yokohamas tend to be a little soft in the sidewall and really picky with tire pressures. But they also respond very favorably to heat cycling. With a proper heat cycling, their tread compound still retains their great traction characteristics and treadwear goes through the roof. The set I have on currently is about 1/2 worn with about 60K-70K miles.

Fish,

What is heat cycling? I'm tire savvy, but never heard that before.

Edit: I googled and came across this link re: heat cycling: http://www.roadrunner-region-pca.org/tech/heat.htm

Is this what you did?

One more thought, driving high speed on hwy and taking overnight or longer rest (ie normal driving). Wouldn't that produce heat cycling? So, maybe this is where tire break-in comes from?

K_Watson

Since this thread has returned, I'll post a little update.

So far these tires have been excellent. We've had some decent snow and rain since I got them. They handled both with no problem. When he had 5 inches snow I had to go out before the plows had come, and the tires had no problem with traction under sensible acceleration, braking, and cornering, but I did not exceed 40 MPH because of conditions and speed limits. Also turning resistance at the steering wheel is noticeably less than with the old Kumho's. Road noise is very low, but perceptible, below 50 Mph and is acceptable above.

Topic List