Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By mickemoose, November 16, 2004

My new '05 Corolla LE just surpAssed the 900 mile mark today. At what mileage interval should I have my first oil change? At the first 1,000 miles? I'm used to the "old school" of thought which states that you change the oil at the first 1,000 miles since there's going to be a higher concentration of metal particles and shavings because of the new engine components wearing together.

I talked to a serviceman at my Toyota dealer and he said it really didn't matter if I had it changed this early. He did say that the mileage interval for oil changes on new Corollas is 5,000 miles! I was surprised to hear this. He said Toyota did a study of test vehicles which had oil changes at 3,000 miles, 4,000 miles and 5,000 miles. From the data they collected, they concluded that 5,000 miles should be the recommended interval.

Well, that explains the Mobil sticker in the upper left corner of my windshield (put on by some guy on the line who filled my car with oil at the Toyota Fremont, CA facility) which reads "5,000 miles" for next oil change.

Thanks for your advice. This new Corolla is awesome!

• 200 posts

It wouldn't hurt at all to change at 1000 miles.

It might even be a good thing to do the first change at 1000, next change at 5000.

Although it wouldn't hurt - the 500 mile or 1000 mile oil change is not neccessary. The machining done with these newer engines is much better than what they did several years ago. Not much metal is worn off during the break-in process compared to older designs. But oil is cheap, if you feel compelled to change it, I'd just go ahead and change it.

Good Luck.

Dai_Shan

Yeah although most people say with improved mechanical construction these days you don't need to do a "break in" nor change oil early the first time....

I say...why not....doesn't hurt to play it a little safe, a little prention goes a long way.

I tryed to follow a "break In" routine for my 05 nuttin special just try to follow a RPM schedule kinda. and then changed my oil at like 1500 i think. Since i have gradually working my way closer and closer to the 5k change mark. (3k then 4k then 4500 etc intervals)

Dealerships are now required to put an oil change sticker in all new cars during pre delivery inspections. The mile recommendation is entirely up to the dealer. The dealership I work for recommends 2000 mi/3 months from first use for the first oil change, then by the maintenance book after that.

I've got some very good mechanics and I asked their advice. They said it was important to come in after the first 1,000 and to return every 3,000. No synthetic oil because it's a waste of money if you change your oil every 3K.

I know it sounds self-serving on their part but I trust them implicitly and -- this is very rare and very hard to believe-- these guys are not out just to make a buck. They only work on certain makes of cars, Toyotas being one, and don't advertise for new customers. They charge very reasonable rates and will not do work they deem unnecessary. Been with them for years, and wouldn't you if you had found an honest mechanic? default_smile

Certainly won't hurt.

Guest model1822

I changed my 05 LE'S oil at 2k miles because I heard the factory fill has special break in additives. Will change to Mobil 1 synthetic at 5k miles at stick to 5k oil change intervals.

My RAV had its first change done around 4K miles, and I opted for Mobil1. Had its second done at slightly over 7K miles also with Mobil1 - both services performed at the dealer lube center using Toyota filters. I'll still use the 3 month/3000-mile rule as I have done with every car I've owned just to be safe, even with the synth lube.

I know the dealer service agents promote additional recommendations for services as part of their jobs, but I think the $50 fee to replace the in-cabin air filter element is excessive. I'm looking around to see if an aftermarket element is available, since I rejected replacing mine because I didn't think a small amount of debris that collected on the filter warranted changing it, especially since the interval is at 10K miles.

Yeah that filter service is a real scam and an insult. I think I'll just take mine out and clean it or perhaps at some point buy a new one and install it myself.

My research found that aftermarket replacement in-cabin air filters won't be available until sometime next year. http://www.maximumautoparts.com/ offers the replacement element for the RAV4 (which may be the same part for other models) for $23 plus freight.

Guest The Kings of Random

Would it not be possible to simply buy a home furnace air filter and cut it to fit? Our '05 Echo hatchback has a pull-out drawer behind the glove box for a cabin air filter but does not come with a filter element, and I heard that it was pretty cost effective just to make 4 or so cabin filters out of a furnace one.

Max

Somebody on this board had a permanent filter made. You might want to search for that thread. A few people just decided to do without the filter altogether.

Topic List