Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How To Change The Starter On A 1994 Corolla Dx 1.8L?

by cloudplaya, November 8, 2009 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

help

what do you need help with?

everything?

pick up a haynes manual, it should give you all of what you need and answer alot of other questions.

i know that, this forum would be useless if everyone did that

i know that, this forum would be useless if everyone did that
I disagree with that. Those repair manuals are good place to start - you have to do some of the leg work yourself first, especially in a DIY project. But even they wont tell you everything you need to know - that's way forums like this are around.

that and if i typed out every DIY every time someone asked my hands would be soo cramped i wouldnt be able to work on cars to make money the next day, then i couldnt pay my internet bill and voila! i wouldnt even be here! default_laugh

fine!

1. disconnect battery negative cable

2. disconnect starter solenoid wire

3. disconnect starter battery cable

4. remove starter

5. reverse above steps to install.

theres your how-to, and frankly thats what the haynes will tell you also except it will have a few grainy black and white photos of the area with some arrows labeling whats what, might give a couple torque specs and bolt head sizes.

that and if i typed out every DIY every time someone asked my hands would be soo cramped i wouldnt be able to work on cars to make money the next day, then i couldnt pay my internet bill and voila! i wouldnt even be here!

fine!

1. disconnect battery negative cable

2. disconnect starter solenoid wire

3. disconnect starter battery cable

4. remove starter

5. reverse above steps to install.

theres your how-to, and frankly thats what the haynes will tell you also except it will have a few grainy black and white photos of the area with some arrows labeling whats what, might give a couple torque specs and bolt head sizes.

Unless it's just some cheep starter contacts, saved me a bundle!default_laugh

use the search function to find details on starter removal. I find it easier to take out the air cleaner box . its 2 bottom bolts and a hose clamp. I also leave the solenoid wire on until the top and bottom starter bolts are off. then twist the starter between the rack and pinion and the engine block to remove it before you slide the starter upwards. putting the starter back in is a challenge. get the bottom bolt in first if you can otherwise it never seems to thread right.

9 times out of ten your starter contacts are bad and the rest of the starter is good. many internet threads on removal and install. last one cost me $4 to r&r. My repair lasted 40000 miles last time and the new contacts have 15000 already.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm