Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brake Light Coming On?

by Sonix, November 1, 2009

My brake indicator light was coming on when I started the car, but went off after a few stops and starts. Well it stopped coming on, do I need to worry?

Not the brake lights on the outside of the car. 1998 VE.

Btw, I can't buy Honorable Donor / Karma Builder. No payment method with no options to add one!

Check your brake fluid level, and if it's low, add some, then check for any leaks. If your front pads are worn pretty good, then it's naturally going to look low.

Exactly what madar601 said - probably low fluid levels causing the brake lamp to flash intermittently like that.

Also, if you haven't replaced the brake fluid in the system (brake fluid flush), might be a good idea to do so. I try to get one in every other year or 30K miles or so. Doesn't take very long for brake fluid to absorb enough moisture to cause problems. More of a preventative thing than anything else. A good time to do it is when you need to replace the brake pads - since you'll be working around that area anyways.

Exactly what madar601 said - probably low fluid levels causing the brake lamp to flash intermittently like that.

Also, if you haven't replaced the brake fluid in the system (brake fluid flush), might be a good idea to do so. I try to get one in every other year or 30K miles or so. Doesn't take very long for brake fluid to absorb enough moisture to cause problems. More of a preventative thing than anything else. A good time to do it is when you need to replace the brake pads - since you'll be working around that area anyways.

Fixed, It's amazing what a few ounces of DOT 3 will do!

I have a strange feeling that 4 brakes are in my future.

Thanks, both of you.

Topic List